question on bp&wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the DR TransPlate with the deluxe harness that is adjustable and has quick releases. And, I use the bungeed Rec wing.

To each his / her own. There are those that say the quick releases and just failure points waiting to happen and if I were to dive with 4 or more extra tanks hanging off of me...it might be a reality. But I am a rec diver and the failure point reasoning just dont cut it for me. I would rather have the comfort.

As far as diving a dry suit....the most I have done is a 6mm johnboy with it. But there is plenty of let out in the adjustments for a dry suit.

Good diving..
rich

I don't get the whole comfort issue. *Maybe* if you were diving with no exposure protection, I could see the argument but with *any* suit at all, the single piece harness is the most comfortable thing since sliced bread, especially in tropical situations where you are only carrying 35 lbs of gear around.

That's the kind of info I was after. I haven't actually used a plate yet. But, you have to admit to just look at it and think about it raises the question of comfort. You are looking at a hard, rigid, steel plate resting on soft, flexible flesh. Anyway, I am glad to hear that it not any kind of issue. One less thing to consider as I try to narrow down my picks!

If the single piece harness had a chest strap and a little bit of instant adjustment capability I would have to agree that the one piece is the most comfortable. I dive with no shirt at times and a 2 piece 7mm at others and the straps are not uncomfortable, I just like the feeling of the chest strap better. I have to go what feels the best and not what someone told me would be the best. The bp on bare flesh is not even a problem at all. It is so rock solid that it doesn't have a chance to eat into any flesh!

Some people find that by routing the shoulder straps so that they cross behind the head helps accomplish the same result as a chest strap.

The only problem I can think of with a BP on bare back is that if it's a little cool out, that backplate is going to be bloody cold when you first put it on!

RICHinNC:
To each his / her own. There are those that say the quick releases and just failure points waiting to happen and if I were to dive with 4 or more extra tanks hanging off of me...it might be a reality. But I am a rec diver and the failure point reasoning just dont cut it for me. I would rather have the comfort.

Good diving..
rich

Even in terms of technical diving, the TransPac has a great record. I personally wouldn't dive doubles with a softpac, but plenty of guys have successfully, not to mention Lamar Hires, one of the best cave divers/sidemounters around today.

Having owned several harnesses, Hogarthian and otherwise, I'm quite happy with my TransPlate for now.

Soggy:
I don't get the whole comfort issue. *Maybe* if you were diving with no exposure protection, I could see the argument
Not so, 100 dives this summer, all were off a boat, and I used my Hogarthian harness with just a rash guard with no ill effects, comfort or otherwise.

I dive the OMS IQ Pack with a DiveRite ABS backplate insert and OMS 32 lb. single tank wing. I do not use the single tank adapter because it is optional for this type of setup. Since I live in an area where I may wear a 2mm wetsuit sometimes during the year, and a dry suit at other times of the year, I find this setup to be more easily adjustable. The OMS aluminum backplate is also a nice way to go if you prefer it over the ABS.

I know of a couple of divers who switched from the Transpac to the IQ Pack because they said the IQ Pack was a little more comfortable and had a few extra built-in features already on it. I cannot give an opinion on that because I have never tried the Transpac.

Most of my diving is done in salt water with steel HP 100s, and most of it is within recreational limits, so I don't really need doubles, deco bottles slung under my arm, DIR setups, etc. After using rear inflation BCDs for many years, and then trying the simple harness system with little or no padding, I decided the IQ Pack was a nice compromise between a "full blown" BCD and a "bare bones" minimal harness sytem. I am sold on this setup now, and find it very versatile. For highly technical diving, I'm sure there are better setups depending upon personal preferences, but for what I do, my setup is great.

I posted earlier that I prefer the standard harness to the translate harness. Personally, I don't worry too much about failure points. In my case, it was the shoulder pads I did not like. They were very uncomfortable and always seemed in the way. I looked at the deluxe harness, but the only thing it provides over the standard is a chest strap. I don't really need a chest strap. Again, not a failure point thing, I just find it uncomfortable. That left the standard harness. Most of my dives here have been in a 3mm suit or a lycra dive skin. Never had a problem with the harness or the plate. Actually, the plate is much more comfortable than the BCs I used before. I understand the Transplate harness if you plan to dive under a large number of conditions. I know a couple of people that have several plates, each with a harness fitted for a specific environment suit. They just grab the one they plan to dive and slap on the wing. Seems a little more expensive. Then again it is tech diving, so from that point of view I doubt a couple extra plates seem all that expensive.

Ontwreckdiver:
I am buying a backplate and wing and have narrowed the search down to 2. 1 Diverite transplate harness & venture30+lb. wing. 2 OMS comfort harness system & 32lb. single tank wing. Anythoughts or opinions on these options would be a great help. thanks. I am diving a Bare CD4 drysuit & OMS 112 single steel tanks in the greatlakes

I currently dive the OMS Comfort Harness and love it. Specifically, I dive the OMS Comfort Harness and OMS 6# Backplate. I've dove a traditional hogarthian harness for a while and it just didn't suit me well. When diving singles I use the 32# wing with an OMS STA. Diving doubles I simply unbolt the STA (my main reason for diving with one) and bolt on my 45# wing with my double AL-80s.

I did make a few changes to the harness, however...

First I removed the shoulder pads that came with it. They are too stiff and wide for my liking. I replaced them with Custom Divers shoulder strap pads. I preferred their style to the old OMS style which had used velcro. The new OMS pads are nearly identical to the Custom Divers. I use a bungee loop to hold the inflator hose in place.

Next, I added a Custom Divers back/lumbar pad. I guess I didn't really need one, but I find it more comfortable when working on the deck. I preferred the CD version because of its mounting system. It uses a single veclro strip in the center of the plate. Much easier if you switch the bladder/tank(s) configuration frequently.

I added a one inch strap to the STA to act as a tank hanger. Again, I probably didn't need it. I dove for 1 year without it, but it makes life nice and easy.

I also added Halcyon's 12# ACB pockets. I seldomly have weight in there, but when I'm working classes its nice as we are required to have ditchable weight.

One last comment... I think someone mentioned that the OMS 32# wing is not a true donut. After having dove a DR Venture wing, I've yet to see any impact of this design.

If I get time tonight I will snap a few pictures and post them here or in the gallery.

Later,
cortez

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom