question on bp&wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am buying a backplate and wing and have narrowed the search down to 2. 1 Diverite transplate harness & venture30+lb. wing. 2 OMS comfort harness system & 32lb. single tank wing. Anythoughts or opinions on these options would be a great help. thanks. I am diving a Bare CD4 drysuit & OMS 112 single steel tanks in the greatlakes

I can't speak too much for the OMS system, however I have a Dive Rite Venture wing which I love, mated with a SS plate, I used it for saltwater dives every day over the summer (literally logged 100 dives) and still works like a charm, my only issues was water trapping between the inner and outer bladder, but I have heard they have fixed it. I've also used it in freshwater and it floated a steel 104, SS plate and cannister light without me in it (and in a full 7mm suit I would add significant bouyancy). I would suggest a standard "Hogarthian" harness over anything else.

I also have the Dive Rite Venture wing mated to a Dive Rite SS plate. I love it. That said, I have not used the OMS. Also, I dive warmer Florida waters, so I have not tried it with a dry suit. I also use the standard (Hogarthian) harness. I prefer it to the Transplate harness, and I have tried both. Again though, with a dry suit that may change, I just don't know. I also use the TransWeight system, they are just weight pockets that fit on the harness. They make changing weight much easier.

The OMS single-tank wing is horsehoe design (the air doesn't pass thru at the bottom...more like a miniature doubles wing) and I'd stay away from it. Halcyon, Dive rite, and Oxycheq all have "donut" (flow at both the top and bottom) wings.

Incidentally, most backplates and wings are interchangeable, so just because you get an OMS backplate doesn't mean you need an OMS wing, necessarily.

I'd also recommend a standard one-piece webbing harness. The "comfort blah blah" and IQ pack offer no advantages over a piece of 2-inch webbing.

If you do difficult shore entries, you notice a big difference between something like the TransPlate harness and the Hogarthian harness. Having used both on a very rocky, 40 degree bank with steel cylinders, the Hog harness is quite unforgiving on the back. But once you're in the water, it's obviously not an issue.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering why all the suggestions for avoiding the Transplate harness. I am going to be getting something here pretty soon, and it was one of the options that I was contemplateing - the others being a plain Hog harness or a Dive Rite Transpac II. Is there something inherently wrong with the transplate harness, or what?

DiverMo:
Yeah, I was kinda wondering why all the suggestions for avoiding the Transplate harness. I am going to be getting something here pretty soon, and it was one of the options that I was contemplateing - the others being a plain Hog harness or a Dive Rite Transpac II. Is there something inherently wrong with the transplate harness, or what?

Nothing is wrong with it per-se, except it has additional (potential) failure points and padding that serves no real purpose except to provide additional buoyancy.

OK, I can understand the failure point thing. But about the padding - how much bouyancy does it add? And the comfort thing appeals to me. Of course, I haven't ever done the backplate thing before (yet), so, maybe that isn't even an issue. I'm sure that it wouldn't be with a thick wetsuit or drysuit, but what about in a 2mm suit? Or even nothing if diving in warm, tropical water?

Maybe a couple pounds. But keep in mind that since the wing will be bouyant, you won't even feel the weight underwater. And with a 2mm it shouldn't be uncomfortable above water either.

I dive the OMS comfort harness now. I started with the one piece harness and found the OMS to suit my needs better. However, I trashed the shoulder pads after one dive. They have hardly any bouyancy but are way too bulky and actually make the harness uncomfortable. I for one like the chest strap and adjustability as I dive different levels of exposure protection frequently. I have all of the adjustable straps cut down to the minimum length neccesary for adjustment so no straps are flapping. I consider the failure point issue to be a non-issue. I've never had a QR buckle fail on ANY gear ever, diving or backpacking etc.. If it did I would fix it or not do that dive. The benefits outweigh the negatives. I don't beat my gear with hammers or throw it around so I shouldn't have a problem.

Back
Top Bottom