Question for Travis Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done the warm water thang' many times with no prob..
Warm, not hot. First dose before going in is most important, not coming out.
Funny, I've warmed wetsuits in the dryer at the laundromat in Port Aransas still steeped in saltwater and sand many times. While your goodies are drying you sit out back and drink beer under the dryer vents. Good fun.

Nomad:
Pouring warm water down your wetsuit after a dive is potentially dangerous.

You might end up with a case of the "skin bends". As far as I am concerned, bends, of any kind, are bad.
Well, I have read the 'reports', and they seem to be talking about 'hot' water, such as hot tub, showers, and baths, that continue to be hot and elevate the skin temps over an extended period of time.
What I am talking about is 'warm' water, to precharge suit, and to flush out chilled water after dive. I have been doing this since '78 myself, along with buddies, and my dad and his buddies were doing from at least '72, without anyone getting skin bends. We were not (usually) pushing NDL on these dives. While this evidence is ancedotal, I think it shows chances are fairly slim.
But each diver must weigh all factors and safety considerations for themselves and make the choice they think is best.
Happy and Safe diving to you.

BrianV:
What's an annual pass cost? Does Windy Point have annuals, if so what's the cost of that one?

Thanks
You can get an annual permit good for all the LCRA parks for $75.
It is good at the LCRA portion of Windy point, not the private scuba park. But you can dive the water off the scuba park by making a water entry from LCRA park and swimming around. Not sure what scuba parks policy may be on air fills for those not paying their park fees. When filled there in past, was meeting friends who were camped there and payed fee for their park entry.

BrianV:
My coworker recommended stearnes as well. I hope my neighbor ends up getting that boat so I can check it out, otherwise I'll try and find a SB buddy who's got a boat and I'll pitch in for gas.
Maybe can get together for a dive, then perhaps can manage to get you on buddies boat sometime when short a diver. Reg just finished service, will be picking it up this week or next, depending on when can get in to Scubaland. Be looking to do a check out dive sometime soon (probably in march) and see how the upgrade feels. On a boat if possible, or from shore otherwise.

I trade boat storage at my casa for boat rides with one of my buddies. My 'hood don't have a crapload of deed restrictions like his does:D

Alright, well I'll probably head out to travis sometime in March, I'll post here before I go.

BrianV:
Alright, well I'll probably head out to travis sometime in March, I'll post here before I go.

Schweet, hope to see you 'Down There'.....

After proper pre dive planning and communication of course...:D

Dive Safe, Dive Happy :)

AggieDad:
Last fall, Richard at Windy Point told me that annuals were $150
Little pricey for a ticket good to only one ride. I like the LCRA option better, as I frequent many parks on lake, for scuba and other recreational needs.
At one time I used to have so many parks stickers on my windshield that would get pulled over by police telling me I was doing something wrong. I would explain the problem with multiple annual park permits (lcra, tx state parks, national parks, county parks) and show him that my inspection and registration were in correct place and that rest were distributed according to each requirements and need to be able to see through windshield to drive. No ticket, just wonder at amount of time and money spent on my outdoor pursuits.
But back to WindyPoint. I usually have access to boat, so am not limited to shore dives, If were I might be paying for their annual, especially if it included camping and air fills. That might make it worth it, even with my current boat access options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom