Question for Travis Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV:
I bought a 7/5 suit, coupled with a 7 skirted hood I think I'll be able to do 60 degrees fine.

My checkout was pretty chilly, like 60-62 and I did it with a 7mm with 3mm skirted hood, 3mm boots, and 3mm gloves; had no issues after 2 :55 dives.

So in early March I'll probably head out to Windy or Mansfield. I'll let you guys know and maybe we can meet up. I've been to Windy Point like 4 or 5 times, but never to Mansfield; which one do you guys prefer?

I like Stearnes (rattlesnake) best, but am lucky to have buddies with boats. Plus a couple of other ' secret spots' further up lake. Mansfield always a good choice, as is Windy Point, if don't have boat access. Plus for windy is ya can get air fills without drivin' back down 620.

NadMat:
I like Stearnes (rattlesnake) best, but am lucky to have buddies with boats. Plus a couple of other ' secret spots' further up lake. Mansfield always a good choice, as is Windy Point, if don't have boat access. Plus for windy is ya can get air fills without drivin' back down 620.

Ahh good to know, no air fills at Mansfield. Can you get in and out priveledges and Mansfield?

BrianV:
Ahh good to know, no air fills at Mansfield. Can you get in and out priveledges and Mansfield?
your sticker for the park is good for the day ( pretty sure,but I have an annual now), so only problem with in and out is that if really busy day they may hit max capacity and you have to wait for someone to leave before can get back in (heard about it, but never happend to me.)

texdiveguy:
... I am one that just likes that 'cold rush'--lol.....take care! :)
It helps to get our older blood flowing, right Alan?

Willlie

NadMat:
I like Stearnes (rattlesnake) best, but am lucky to have buddies with boats. Plus a couple of other ' secret spots' further up lake.
OK, now I really want to dive with you some time. I am accumulating Travis diving info. :)

Willie

wet-willie:
It helps to get our older blood flowing, right Alan?

Willlie

'Old' blood is right Willie!!!

putawaywet:
A good trick I picked up surfing cold water/weather. A gallon of warm water down the front and back of your wetsuit before and after you get wet. We started filling gallon jugs at the hotel and bringing them down to the beach but depending on how long you were out and the air temp. the other jugs would go cold. Started bringing a propane fish fryer to heat water with. Good to stand around and warm your hands with as well.
"Don't scald yourself."

Pouring warm water down your wetsuit after a dive is potentially dangerous.

You might end up with a case of the "skin bends". As far as I am concerned, bends, of any kind, are bad.

My coworker recommended stearnes as well. I hope my neighbor ends up getting that boat so I can check it out, otherwise I'll try and find a SB buddy who's got a boat and I'll pitch in for gas.

NadMat:
your sticker for the park is good for the day ( pretty sure,but I have an annual now), so only problem with in and out is that if really busy day they may hit max capacity and you have to wait for someone to leave before can get back in (heard about it, but never happend to me.)

What's an annual pass cost? Does Windy Point have annuals, if so what's the cost of that one?

Thanks

Nomad:
Pouring warm water down your wetsuit after a dive is potentially dangerous.

You might end up with a case of the "skin bends". As far as I am concerned, bends, of any kind, are bad.

Pouring 'warm' water into wet gloves prior to cold water diving is common place,,,now the whole suit is not common place,although I am sure it has been done. I never have heard of an official case of the skin-bends brought on by the use of poured 'warm' water into a suit/gloves after a dive,,,,,of course taking a plung in a 'hot' tub/shower after diving in certain situations can contribute to problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom