Question for Travis Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps it's a combo of New England blood and being new to diving, but I've been in Travis twice this month in a two piece 3 mil with a 6/4 vest and hood. Not elegant, but it works (for those keeping score at home, that's 10mil on the chest, three on the extremities, and six on the head). Hands get cold, but if the wind is down and the sun warm, I've been getting two dives in. My wife's been comfortable in a 4/3 with a 6/4 vest and hood. All this being said, none of the dives were longer than 35 min. Any longer, and it'd get cold I suppose.

subzero:
As everyone said, dont do it, thats not much protection. If you dont have a dry suit, then get a 7mm wetsuit and a 5mm hooded vest. Thats what I use for winter diving in Lake Travis. Its sufficient enough for 40 mins of diving, but after that, you start to get cold.

I for one did not say don't do it!!! lol

Dude, in a 7mil suit and 5mil hooded vest, I could stay warm even ice diving...lol

Thanks for the replies.

I would have 6 over the chest. Leisurepro has Henderson Neosport 7/5's for $129.99 so maybe I'll pick one up. I have a 6.5mm skirted hood that I could wear with it as well as 5mm gloves.

It won't be for another 2-3 weeks until I go out as I have a business trip and two vacations coming up real soon.

When I go I'll post up on here and see who is down.

FWIW, I did 2 40-50 minute dives last year in 65 degree Travis with just the 3mm jumpsuit, 3mm gloves, and 3mm booties; no hood or vest, and I wasn't bothered by it. It did help that it was 80F+ outside so when you got out you warmed really quickly.

A good trick I picked up surfing cold water/weather. A gallon of warm water down the front and back of your wetsuit before and after you get wet. We started filling gallon jugs at the hotel and bringing them down to the beach but depending on how long you were out and the air temp. the other jugs would go cold. Started bringing a propane fish fryer to heat water with. Good to stand around and warm your hands with as well.

"Don't scald yourself."

I would normally dive Travis in winter with a minimum of a 5mm full one peice with a 1.5mm shorty farmer underneath for rec stuff, and a full 7mm two piece (farmer john with top) plus hood if was doing a working (ie recovery or dock repositioning) dive.
The warm water in suit before and after helps also.

Shop just finished reg service, will be picking it up this week or next, and diving soon after that for a checkout( ok, it's really just a justification to get wet :wink: ). Will prob have to rent as both 7mm and 5mm are in TN at the moment.

texdiveguy:
Dude, in a 7mil suit and 5mil hooded vest, I could stay warm even ice diving...lol
I have to admit, I'm a wuss :)

I bought a 7/5 suit, coupled with a 7 skirted hood I think I'll be able to do 60 degrees fine.

My checkout was pretty chilly, like 60-62 and I did it with a 7mm with 3mm skirted hood, 3mm boots, and 3mm gloves; had no issues after 2 :55 dives.

So in early March I'll probably head out to Windy or Mansfield. I'll let you guys know and maybe we can meet up. I've been to Windy Point like 4 or 5 times, but never to Mansfield; which one do you guys prefer?

The dam, the price is right, and there is a wall thats deep close to the dam that I like to drop down on, found 3 golf clubs out there, working on collecting the whole set.

subzero:
I have to admit, I'm a wuss :)

No...your just smarter than I am,,,,,chilly water is just plain chilly,,,,,I am one that just likes that 'cold rush'--lol.....take care! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom