Question for Travis Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't dove Travis this winter but am contemplating it.

My question is whether my 3mm jumpsuit with a 3mm hooded vest would suffice for thermal protection? I would have 3mm gloves and boots too.

Although I don't enjoy cold water (especially at first), I don't get as cold as most of the people I dive with. I feel that even for longer dives (50+ minutes), I'm fine in a 3 when most people want a 5.

That said, has anyone dove Travis recently in a 3 with a hooded vest? What are your recommendations?

I used to dive 'wet' in the winter,,,though I was using a 7mil full suit....now I only dive 'dry' in the winter. You will def. be on the chilly side,,,,though if you can handle it for a bit give it a fast try. **Cold 'does' effect your ability to reason-respond-react to situations underwater,,,SO be honest to yourself and your tol. to the chilly water. Now for me it would not be fun,,,and dang chilly in the "wet" layering,,,,plus those 3mil gloves and boots---wow....but from your bio your are young and if in great health---heck try it. Really nothing is better than winter fresh water diving....in my oppion!

BrianV:

My question is whether my 3mm jumpsuit with a 3mm hooded vest would suffice for thermal protection? I would have 3mm gloves and boots too.

Absolutely NOT - don't do it.

56 degree F water temps: http://wwwext.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

I dive for fun, being really cold is not fun, and being really cold + diving is really not good for your body.

doesn't do much for offgassing efficiency either....

As of Saturday the lake temp was 56 degrees and vis about 1-2 foot at the Mansfield Park dive area. I would recommend at least a 6.5mm or 7mm wetsuit, hood and wetsuit gloves/mittens.

cyklon_300:
doesn't do much for offgassing efficiency either....

Gregg your signature says it all.....LOL
He is a young buck 24......I vote he should dive the 3mm combo.....If he gets cold then he will at least have a baseline on his thermal wear for Travis @ 56 degrees.

Dave

If you do decide to make the dive, let us know when... Travis is pretty sucky now but I'm sure we would all have a blast.

BrianV:
That said, has anyone dove Travis recently in a 3 with a hooded vest? What are your recommendations?
I made two dives with subzero at Mansfield Dam Park on 1-15.
Water temp was 58 deg. I was wearing a 3mm farmer john, beanie, gloves, boots. Subzero was wearing a 7mm. Both dives were :40, that was about all we could stand, but I only got cold after leaving the water. It would have been better with a hood.

Willie

BrianV:

Although I don't enjoy cold water (especially at first), I don't get as cold as most of the people I dive with. I feel that even for longer dives (50+ minutes), I'm fine in a 3 when most people want a 5.

As everyone said, dont do it, thats not much protection. If you dont have a dry suit, then get a 7mm wetsuit and a 5mm hooded vest. Thats what I use for winter diving in Lake Travis. Its sufficient enough for 40 mins of diving, but after that, you start to get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom