Question for dry suit wearers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I understand you right then you need to seal the area for water. If that is the case a latex seal will give you the best sealing and comfort. We make a lot of customized product and I am pretty sure I could find a tube piece which will fit you.

Let me know if I can help!

latex seal? I'm intriqued. No hoses running from tank to middle of leg?

TSandM - no time to get any in for this weekend - trying to find a local medicl supply house that stocks today. Other option is spirit gum ;-)

It's weird. A few times I've been in the water for hours and no leak - other times 15 minutes and its sliding off. Average is about the 45 minute mark before I need to push everything back on and slide the sleeve back up. At this point everything is wet and I have to repeat this process every few minutes until I get back on boat.

Some of the other suggestions involved a true dry suit seal around the leg, inflate hose and dump valve inlcuded.

Guestimate on dimensions right now are @ 14" circumference bottom, 24" circumference top, length about 20-24"). Can you PM me a best guess $ on something like this?

Some of the other suggestions involved a true dry suit seal around the leg, inflate hose and dump valve inlcuded.

Guestimate on dimensions right now are @ 14" circumference bottom, 24" circumference top, length about 20-24"). Can you PM me a best guess $ on something like this?
Did you check Amazon for the urobond? You can almost always get everything off Amazon and it usually gets to you in 12 hours, especially if you have Amazon Prime.
If you decide to go the drysuit leg route, I would suggest having an expert like Steve Gamble make it for you. It seems like the size of the seals will be critical and you will need a low pressure hose to attach to the inflator valve which will need to be quite long to reach the top of your thigh.
also, you will need a dump valve. I'm not sure of the best place to put a dump valve on your leg, since you don't usually have any part of your leg that high to dump air easily, unless it would be a manual dump valve? Perhaps on ankle, where if you get in a feet up position it dumps? I'm sure Steve will be able to help you with that, as well.
Cheapest, easiest,thing to try to start, of course, is the urobond.
But,really, other than the 3 miserable hot months of the year in The south, a trilam drysuit could be the answer. The nice thing is that you can change the undergarment to suit your needs to dive anywhere in the world. It opens up so many more possibilities. The class is often free when you purchase the suit.

I've been running around getting some last minute things done around the house and getting things loaded for tomorrows trip. Shorts and a t-shirt - 50' walk to the truck and back - drenched. Humidity right now is just brutal!! I can't even imagine trying to be covered neck to ankles in a wet or dry suit - throw some bar-b-que sauce in and 10 minutes later, I'm done - stick a fork in me.

Although that would be one heckuva weight loss program... hmmm.....

---------- Post Merged at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:44 PM ----------

And today is cooler than yesterday - heat index right now is only 102º.

TS&M idea is the first choice. If it works great!

There is one drysuit repair shops in Florida that could make this. Maybe more but I have used Gamble. Call for an estimate. If they can not try DUI, Bare, Whites, Pinnacle, or any drysuit repair shop. This should be easy for someone who works with Drysuit repair. Two seals, a bit of DS material, a seam, and two valves. I would think a new Zipper is harder.

Gamble Scuba

Dives on Sunday went really well. My dive buddies carried my rig to the water, and I carried fins and masks, and my weights, so much less stress than last time. I double sleeved the outside seal - staggered about 3" or so. The single sleeve where it contacted the carbon fiber socket, I took a velcro/nylon webbing knife strap and cinched down on the sleeve as tight as I could. The top now had two silicon seals, and since the seond one was higher up my leg, was much tighter than normal, but not to the point of cutting of circulation.

Eureka!! Did three dives, TBT of 2:20, max depth 51', average depth @ 35' and even witth the short walks back and forth to the truck for tank changes, waters, etc. never had to remove the leg to dry it off or change gear! By the end of the third dive, it was getting pretty wet inside, but still hadn't started slipping, just close to it.

I'm hoping that a wet suit might do the same thing as the second sleeve. Problem is - they just don't fit me. Almost 6' 1", I wear a 50 athletic cut jacket with a 38" waist. I have a middle aged belly, but it seems as if I am a XXL or even XXXL in the shoulders and chest and a L or XL in the waist. I tried on 3 different suits the other day, and none really fit that great. Going to try the Aqualung Aquaflex super stretchy one as soon as I can. Tried it on in an XL and it seemed to fit pretty good from the chest down, but couldn't get it over the shoulders. Thinking that an XXL might do the trick in that one.

Lizard, other than the height I'm pretty much your dimensions. I dive an O'neil reactor (3:2). I have large thighs and it fits me pretty good there.

I got the Aqualung HydroFlex suit the other day and dove it for the first time last night. Out of the water I feel like a Shamu sized sausage - in the water barely noticed it was there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom