Question for dry suit wearers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike I would think there would be a minimum amount of seal/ suit on the actual leg the rest would be down over the knee joint on the prosthetic. The majority of the compression would be on the joint. Of course I'm not there so I don't know for sure. Additionally the compression might help with sealing.

Sent from my DROID X2

you know what? make it all easy & just get a drysuit. you could go wet when it wasn't so important to be dry, and have the drysuit for long swims or long dives or times when it matters.

Babyduck (btw - love the hood!) pretty sure I don't want to go full dry. The shore dives I am doing Sunday are probably going to be in 100-110º range with heat index, then the added expense, the classes, etc. I can get by with my suit and rashguard, just looking to extend my bottom time with the leg as my bottom time with air increases.

I'm not sure how compression works wth dry suits. I neverr notice the pressure on the leg with the system I have now, and just can't see where if I have one silicon/skin seal leaking now, how having two will make it better. I found a strap, actually a nylon and velcro knife strap, at my LDS today - fits the lower seal (silicon/carbon fiber) great, and I can really crank down on it. I will be trying that Sunday to see if that helps, and to try to determin if the water is getting in from the top or bottom.

You need two seals with a bit of Drysuit material in-between with a drysuit inflation valve and a dump valve. Then a hose that runs from the 1st stage to the inflation valve. You may need a custom hose. Kinda awkward but should work. I can not think of a better way to handle squeeze which will be a problem as shallow as 15'.

---------- Post Merged at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:54 PM ----------

I'm not sure how compression works wth dry suits. I neverr notice the pressure on the leg with the system I have now, and just can't see where if I have one silicon/skin seal leaking now, how having two will make it better.

Dry is.... dry! :D

So you have a seal on the top of your leg, another on the artificial leg, drysuit material in between and that forms a watertight seal. Then you have a inflation valve to add air and a dump valve to dump air attached to the drysuit material. The inflation hose runs from the 1st stage to the "leg suit". This is basically how a drysuit works but you need a dry leg! Kind of a hassle but your leg will stay dry! I could make this with some glue, parts, and a custom hose. But a drysuit manufacture could do a real nice job. The photos are examples of spare drysuit parts. Yes, I dive dry!

---------- Post Merged at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Another option is to have your leg completely dry from the top/mid thigh of your leg down. So you would have a neoprene sock and the dry leg would start around mid thigh. Dump valves around the knee.

These are dry options as its a way to keep water out of mix.

What if you went to a full drysuit? Without an undergarment or just a very light undergarment, just to keep you dry? With a trilam suit, it doesn't really add any insulation at all. And, it's loose so it's pretty comfortable.
Maybe it could be donated by some sort of handicapped diving organization?

Lizard Leg, did you see my post about the Urobond? I really wonder if that would simply solve your problem. It is designed to remain adhesive in the presence of liquids.

i bet dui could make you a... if you wwill.. a one leg dry suit with a ankle seal and a neck seal for the top of the leg. give michael paquette a call at dui and see if he can have it don with zip seals .... bouyancy may be an issue

If I understand you right then you need to seal the area for water. If that is the case a latex seal will give you the best sealing and comfort. We make a lot of customized product and I am pretty sure I could find a tube piece which will fit you.

Let me know if I can help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom