Question for DM's & anyone who works on a boat....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moored boat is even worse in rough seas where its at the mercy of a twist motion off current/tides, a different twisting motion from the wind and this can often mean its head into the wind but side on to the swell.

I'd be monumentally pissed off if left to drift more than 5 minutes after surfacing from a dive but then again procedures are different here - mooring doesn't work for a number of reasons so the standard way to end every dive is to send up a delayed SMB and expect the boat there waiting when you surface (or only a few mins away picking up others).

We didn't do too badly the last time out, 30 divers total, 6+ seas for 7 dives in a day & a half(5 & 2) 125 miles offshore & the dingy never got used....They(the crew) told me they were surprised.........

Possible in some areas, not possible in others.

Moored boating here would result in missing and injured divers everywhere.

One of the most useful things I was ever told, or rather screamed, by a boat captain in 6+ foot seas was, "NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THIS ****ING BOAT...NEVER!" Ladders can be hard and I am surprised more people don't get injured on them in heavy seas. I'm in pretty good shape myself and I sometimes wonder how some folks manage.

Here is a link to an article from Dive Training Magazine that may give you some good advice about using a boat ladder in rough seas. Ladder Exits

I've rode a boat ladder in 6' - 8' seas before. It ain't fun, but it can be done.

Safe diving!

Seems like "running them up to the elbows" would be hard to do with Spring Straps???

Nope. I do it all the time with my spring strap ScubaPro Twin Jets.

Anyway, I certainly don't understand from this why it is more dangerous to take off your fins before you get out of the water than on a swim platform in rough seas. The stuff you wrote up there doesn't really make sense.

Why do you keep setting up the red herring of taking fins off on a swim platform? You take them off after you are seated on the dive boat and tank secured, not on the platform.

An instructor gave me a good tip about boarding in rough water. At least it works for me...

Rather than trying to get your feet on the ladder when its rough, first get your knees on a rung. Once you are "riding" the ladder it becomes easier to get your feet underneath you and hoist yourself up.

Happy diving,

Rick

Seems like "running them up to the elbows" would be hard to do with Spring Straps???

You can do it OR simply clip each one to a left & right upper D ring on your BC......In other words, spring straps are easier........

...OR simply clip each one to a left & right upper D ring on your BC......In other words, spring straps are easier........

What would you clip them with? I have spring straps, and do believe they are easier. But sporting extra clips - either on the D-rings or on my fins - that are not needed is not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom