Question for DIY Canister light head made out of maglite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ordered2" glass circles from the local stain glass and it was $2.00 per lense.. no problem. The Maglite glass lense is 1.5mm thick which is too thin.. I tried it. The stain glass shop uses 3mm and had mine to 100ft no problem<that is with my first DIY canister>
I have on mounted in the maglite glued in with epoxy. I have pics posted on here in another thread.DIY CANISTER LIGHT....... The second lense I cut down and stepped it to hold a larger oring.. Since the glass was cheep, if the lense breaks, it's not much to replace. I DIDN"T GLUE THE TWO LENSES TOGETHER.
I know of two guys who have used Lexan, but they can't use a 50watt bulb because the heat it produces will melt it, so they use a 35w bulb.

Is there anywhere you can get step by step instructions....with photos on this? I have my maglight cleared out, and when I put the halogen bulb (50 watt) in with a 3mm piece of glass, the bulb and lenses touch. The bulb also rest on the housing where it bevels in at the top of the threads for the lense cap. i can't forsee a problem with that, but it might be more sensitive to shocks. Also, I have no idea what to do for power...I'm thinking 24volts at 2 amps would give longer battery life... i don't know though...

Kwbyron:
Is there anywhere you can get step by step instructions....with photos on this? I have my maglight cleared out, and when I put the halogen bulb (50 watt) in with a 3mm piece of glass, the bulb and lenses touch. The bulb also rest on the housing where it bevels in at the top of the threads for the lense cap. i can't forsee a problem with that, but it might be more sensitive to shocks. Also, I have no idea what to do for power...I'm thinking 24volts at 2 amps would give longer battery life... i don't know though...

Try

http://groups.msn.com/Divelight/

Did you bore out your maglite so that it was deep enough for the bulb ? You can't have any pressure load on the bulb or it will crack.

Unless you have a 24V bulb, I wouldn't try a 24 volt battery. I'm not sure what your thinking is regarding battery life. If you want to explain what life you want, we can suggest ways to get it.

My thought was since it's a 50 watt bulb, which is amps times voltage, if I double the volts, the amps that the light would draw would be cut by half...which would double the burn time. My thought on this, was I could use more C-cell batteries wich has less mAh then a D-cell, but is also cheeper and easier to find. I havn't bored it out yet... I am thinking I'll call a machine shop and see if they could do it for me, I have a roto-tool, but I always feel bad firing up my compresor(I live in an apt complex) and It wasn't doing the trick just useing my cordless drill.

hmm.. if you use 24v.. your just going to over power your bulb and lessen the life span of it. YOu will find this explained better on the MSN dive light page. I have also machined out my maglite to fir the bulb and the lenses....... ON MSN dive light they may have step by step instuctions.......I can't remember

Ive been trying to take photos of mine as I move along. My plan is to put together a shopping list and some semi-step by step instructions and post the link here for others....The lamp looks nice, but the powerpac looks really home-made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom