Question about Electronic Log Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LHunt5

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings all,

I'm a new diver - finished up my OW this past weekend at Vortex in FL. Was a blast! I ask my instructor, whom is a close friend of mine, this very same question and he did not know the answer.

So on to the question - can Electronic log books, such as Mac Dive and the iPad/iPhone app 'Dive Log' be used to log dives towards further education requirements (IE, the certifications that require X amount of dives)?

If so, does anyone have any experience with these two log dive programs, or others? If not, I'll just go with a traditional print book. But being the huge tech geek I am, I prefer everything electronic :wink:

Very respectfully,
Logan J Hunt

So on to the question - can Electronic log books, such as Mac Dive and the iPad/iPhone app 'Dive Log' be used to log dives towards further education requirements (IE, the certifications that require X amount of dives)?
Why not?
The divelog is mainly kept for the diver's benefit.

I suppose if I felt compelled to get a "pro" certification (DM, AI, instructor), then I could just show my electronic logbook to my instructor. That should be sufficient. I'm sure that every instructional agency has its own specific rules about what constitutes a "logbook." I would be very surprised in this day and age if an agency mandated that electronic logs were not acceptable proof of dive experience.

I realize that the paper logbooks have a verification box that allows the DM or buddy to sign it. I only have one dive acquaintance who has continued to solicit signatures after each dive. We kid him about it. It's fun for the rest of us to jostle each other to determine who gets to sign his logbook.

Electronic logs are nice to have because you can back them up. :D

FWIW, every few months I transfer my divelog database from MacDive to Dive Log which lives on my iPhone. Now, whenever I have my phone with me, I also have my electronic divelog.

Thanks for the reply Bubbletrubble. So you do not need DM/buddy sigs on logged dives when presenting them to...whoever they are presented to when going for future certifications? That was the only thing I was worried about when it came to electronic dive logs.

I'm in the process of converting over to electronic right now actually - transcribing my paper records takes time!

OP- Funny you mention using Mac Dive and Dive Log, that's my current arrangement.
Being able to take notes, gps (great for wrecks!), and pics at the dive site on the iPhone or iPad, then entering all the data in 20 seconds on the boat ride back, is amazing. Add the fact that it syncs with the computer, then I can import my dive computer data to the dive (depth, rates, temp, pressures, consumption) in a matter of 30 seconds... It's actually far quicker and more detailed than writing in a conventional logbook!

Also, I can track equipment usage on each dive, statistics, maintenance schedules, etc. A must if your a tech diver with tons of gear servicing intervals to worry about...
Dive buddies can integrate with your contacts list, which is really cool.

Being able to back up everything to PDF, etc, is also a huge plus. So if I ever want to go back to paper, I can just print everything out.

And to those who mentioned signatures, Dive Log for iOS actually has a signature block for each entry that your dive buddy can sign with their finger.

From the several instructors I've talked to, signatures are no big deal. A lot of divers just show the history log on their dive computers as proof of their number of dives.

Thanks for the reply Bubbletrubble. So you do not need DM/buddy sigs on logged dives when presenting them to...whoever they are presented to when going for future certifications? That was the only thing I was worried about when it came to electronic dive logs.
Q: So how do you intend to prove that those signatures belong to real people who accompanied you on that particular dive?
A: You can't. Moreover, the instructor reviewing your logbook can't verify those signatures either. He/she just has to "trust" that the log is accurate.

Beginner divers turn this into a much bigger issue than it needs to be. FWIW, I don't think it's the beginner's fault. I think the design of the logbook page is the basis for the implication that every dive must be certified/verified with a signature. Perhaps this is PADI's futile attempt to sell refills for its paper logbooks. :idk:

The logbook is for you and you alone.
If someone needs to verify # of lifetime dives for a certification, then feel free to show them whatever you've got -- that includes paper logbooks, electronic logs, your dive computer, sketches on cocktail napkins, Powerpoint presentations, dioramas, Midwest-style scrapbook, etc. :wink:

Eff and Bubbletrubble, you've both been tremendously helpful. I'm sold and will be purchasing both Macdive and Dive Log for iOS. I hope that others with similar questions stumble upon this thread.

Thanks!

The electronic signature of a DM or Instructor would be their name title and member number.
For example:

Scuba Steve
NAUI Dive Master # 39871A

You can include that signature in the notes section.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eff and Bubbletrubble, you've both been tremendously helpful. I'm sold and will be purchasing both Macdive and Dive Log for iOS. I hope that others with similar questions stumble upon this thread.

Thanks!

No problem.

As for using Mac Diver, four helpful notes:

- Read the FAQs and manual/wiki/forum/whatever it is now, before starting to use the program. Will save you from some silly confusion.
- You may have to download serial drivers (for connecting your dive computer), but this is not a big deal, the links and directions are on the Mac Diver website. Also when DLing the drivers, make sure you read the driver installation guide from whatever website Mac Diver links to for your dive computer. Reason: some of the drivers have multiple versions for different versions of OSX.
If you want help on this you could also just post here or PM me.
- If possible, configure your dive computer's info in Mac Diver (after connecting it) before importing your first set of dives; this way they will all show up under your name instead of something generic. If you can't see the computer until you import the first set of dives, no worries, just edit the dive computer's info then, delete the imported dives, then re-import.
Or you can just not worry about any of this if you don't want/need your name attached to every dive. (I do.)
- I'm jealous of you starting electronically from the get go. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future! Just remember to back up, and store the backup/export file remotely (dropbox, iPhone, flash drive, etc)

Enjoy being a dive nerd!

- I'm jealous of you starting electronically from the get go. It will save you a lot of trouble in the future! Just remember to back up, and store the backup/export file remotely (dropbox, iPhone, flash drive, etc)
Meh. I never bothered to transfer my 50-odd paper dives to my electronic divebook.
As part of the free-form narrative attached to each dive entry, I include a running tally of total lifetime dives.
It's good enough for me.

Eff,
I have recently started using MacDive and divelog on my phone. Is it possible to log the dive on the phone (GPS, notes etc) and then import the profile from computer into MacDive, and then link the notes to it? It sounds as though that is what you do, and what I'd like to do, but how do you do it, are there any tricks?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom