Damn! Lost my log book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsarche

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, I just finished my first through fourth "for-fun" (non-training) dives and had a blast. It was at the Catalinas Islands near Playa Flamingo, Costa Rica. We had 40-foot visibility, very low surge and current, and 84-degree water. The only way conditions could have been better would have been to see some big animals. We saw tons of smaller ones, even a couple spotted eagle rays.

Anyway, I digress. Somewhere along the way, I lost my log book. I have all the information saved on my computer at home, so that's not really a concern. What's worrying me is not having my instructors' signatures on the pages where I logged the required dives to get my OW and AOW certification. Will that be a problem if/when I want to go for another level of certification? Rescue diver is certainly on my list - at some point in the future. Is the fact of my current certifications enough, or will my instructors in future courses need to see the signed logbook pages?

Thanks in advance and happy diving!

Depending on the course an instructor MAY want to see your current logbook, but as far as prerequisites, your AOW card will suffice as proof of training at the OW and AOW levels. Instructor signatures are rarely looked at by anyone except lawyers.

Nothing is ever mentioned about signatures (by PADI anyway). Many people have only electronic logs now. Then there are solo dives if you get to that point and elect to do that --no signature, stamp, etc. I use a paper log and Xerox each page, the copies going to our "fire box" in case the house burns down. It's good you have it on your computer. I assume other agencies do what PADI does-- has you in their computer records--so I can't see lack of instructor's or any buddy's signature being a problem. No one's ever looked at my book anyway--ever....Then again if the shop/op is not associated with the same agency as you there possibly could be a problem. You can show them your cert. card and a copy of electronic logs and your Visa--that should work. I copy my cert. cards as well--a replacement for a PADI card used to cost $40 (not sure what it costs now).

I have never been asked for my log book much less signatures. Log books are really more for the diver. I have a record of every single dive. Some just date, site info, depth and time. Others with detailed accounts of the dive. Serves aa a good reminder of site conditions, gear, weight, etc. And I enjoy looking back at my dives from time to time.

I have lost mine before, because I left it on the rail of the truck bed. Luckly an honest person returned it to me. Besides the logs (which don't really matter to anyone but me) I keep C Cards, Buddies phone numbers, directions, dive site maps and yes my credit cards for "emergency gear purchases" lol. If you're concerned about the signatures can you call dive shop you certified through and see if they'll resign a new logbook. But really if you already have the cards it not that big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I have lost mine before, because I left it on the rail of the truck bed. Luckly an honest person returned it to me. Besides the logs (which don't really matter to anyone but me) I keep C Cards, Buddies phone numbers, directions, dive site maps and yes my credit cards for "emergency gear purchases" lol. If you're concerned about the signatures can you call dive shop you certified through and see if they'll resign a new logbook. But really if you already have the cards it not that big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
You said it better than me. Yeah, if you have the card that means that you did everything and got the signatures at some point. Actually, my OW Instructor didn't sign my checkout dives (forgot?). I brought the book back to the shop and they got him to sign it. I too thought it was important at the time.

You said it better than me. Yeah, if you have the card that means that you did everything and got the signatures at some point. Actually, my OW Instructor didn't sign my checkout dives (forgot?). I brought the book back to the shop and they got him to sign it. I too thought it was important at the time.
Can't say it's always true but even courses that have a minimun dive count did not require me to produce a log book.

Can't say it's always true but even courses that have a minimun dive count did not require me to produce a log book.
Same. Guess they figured they knew me and trusted that I did the required dives.

Only time I was ever asked to see my log book was for advanced nitrox and deco procedures class the instructor was looking for varied locations and depths rather than the same site over and over to 20 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom