Damn! Lost my log book!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Log books are based on the honesty system. An unscrupulous diver could forge a log book showing several hundred dives if they chose to and no one would be the wiser EXCEPT, the proof is in the pudding. Their diving techniques would show them up to be a imposter.

The main use of the data is for yourself. As others have said, gear setup, weight, wetsuit, SAC etc. that's why I still keep one. Its handy when you use a gear configuration you haven't used for quite some time and have to decide how much weight you used last time and was it suitable then.

I have had the occasional DM or Instructor look at my logs however in the main it was out of curiosity seeing what diving I had done given I have a variety of sites, conditions, depths etc. I have never had a dive agency ask for my log book to verify number of dives or last dive etc. I have had them ask for cert cards. I usually keep a scanned copy of them on my mobile phone now for ease of use.

I sign all my own logs and date them only occasionally getting others to sign for me. I have my own dive stamp to stamp the pages (looks official but has no real authority).

If you are at all concerned, fill out a new log book and ask the original instructors to resign stating a copy of original. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just create a new hard copy and go on from there. I think its normal for new divers (myself included to be paranoid about dive logs, and break into a sweat if we don't get them signed by our instant buddy after the dive, but in all reality its ok.) I think the important thing is to be honest in filling out your log and in this way you know in your heart the data is correct. Anything else is just an opinion. If you have done a hundred genuine dives, your diving method will usually support your logged experience.

I judge people by how they dive rather than any logged detail or verbal comments. With diving, the proof is very much in the pudding, not in the recipe.

What about proof of the adventure dives that the op did for their AOW? They can count towards the first dive of the full certification. For example say they did the wreck adventure dive as one of the specialties and later wanted to do the full wreck cert how would they prove the adventure dive and get credit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By re-creating the log from your electronic log data and signing it. If possible, getting the original instructor to re-sign it as well.

My log is now just a hard covered plain page book. I create all the entry data items and fill them in. All hand written and signed. This has been accepted by anyone who has asked for my log for all my diving career.

That PADI or another dive organisation sells you a "commercially printed log" at exorbitant pricing does not mean it has more standing or credence. Nor does it have to have a multitude of signatures from people you dive with. Whilst it might be nice to have and a more recognisable proof that you have your instructors signature on your log, that it doesn't, still doesn't invalidate your log as a document.

If you are concerned about specific dives and ensuring that they are accepted by a diving organisation, reproduce and get it re-signed.

I wouldn't bother rewriting the missing entries. I have two numbers for each entry. one is total logged dives. I include only dives that I have a physical log of. I haven't counted any that I didn't log in the years I blew off logging dives (no reason one way or another, I just did it that way). The second number is Dives year to date (YTD). I figure this is was what a dive master/ charter captain would want to see. If I were you I would just print out the electronic version of the log, fold it up and put it inside your new log book. My guess is the only time you will get asked about it is if you go out on really challenging charter and buckle up your BCD with the tank facing the wrong way.

The most relevant question I think you might be asked by someone is "what have you done lately?"

Don't worry, logbooks are useless.

There, I said it.

I don't think log books are "useless ". They're a journal of our dives. Some people are journal keepers and some aren't. I quit logging at around 250.

In 22 years, dives in various places all over the world, and having dragged along my log book way back in the day with expectations of having to present, not once, not one single time, was I asked to show it.

I'm sorry you've lose yours, probably had some cool stuff in it.

What about proof of the adventure dives that the op did for their AOW? They can count towards the first dive of the full certification. For example say they did the wreck adventure dive as one of the specialties and later wanted to do the full wreck cert how would they prove the adventure dive and get credit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't hurt to have those Adventure dives logged/signed. I have experienced two shops that basically charge the same for the specialty whether you have the first dive done or not, so might as well repeat dive 1 with the different shop (or same?) since you're probably paying for it anyway. I think this is fairly common.

I don't think log books are "useless ". They're a journal of our dives. Some people are journal keepers and some aren't. I quit logging at around 250.

In 22 years, dives in various places all over the world, and having dragged along my log book way back in the day with expectations of having to present, not once, not one single time, was I asked to show it.

I'm sorry you've lose yours, probably had some cool stuff in it.
I'm not normally a journalist but I have kept up with my dives. I use the Dive Log app on my iMac/iPad. Even easier now that I have a bluetooth DC that sync's with the app.

Back with an update: My son found my logbook and c-card in his backpack as we were packing to head home. I'm really happy to have it all back, and I really appreciate the great discussion here.

I can totally understand why some people don't log dives or keep a logbook. For me, though, it comes down to the fact I just like having it. I wish I would have found it in time to get it stamped at the dive center before we left, even though I understand it doesn't mean anything for my dive "career."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom