Question about DIYing my own knife sheath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i'm looking into using dave dalton's pattern to make my own BC knife... my question is:

I'm planning on using my excess webbing... but it's a tad stiff: will this do?

i'm also considering just buying a stretch of gymbag-strap-type webbing (way thinner and lighter than BP/W webbing) from the local shoe shop: is this too thin/ flacid?

also: Is "seatbelt" type webbing to thin too?

regarding the knife: powertools aren't in major abundance here... i wouldn't know where to bring the knife to get cut or rounded out... are there (manual) options to this? sandpaper? what grade? I'll probably just snap the knife when i buy it at the local Handy Man, but i doubt they'd let me use their brand spanking new black-and-decker mega sander 2000

any input would be great, thanks!

Jag

shugar:
I'm planning on using my excess webbing... but it's a tad stiff: will this do?
It worked for me.
shugar:
powertools aren't in major abundance here... i wouldn't know where to bring the knife to get cut or rounded out... are there (manual) options to this?
You can do it with a metal file. It'll take a while (probably less than an hour), and you may wish there were more power tools handy, but it'll work. You can finish it with a fine toothed metal file or automotive grade sandpaper, but the specific grades will depend on how rough it is after being filed. Just use finer and finer grades until you get it to where you're happy with it.

Diverite has an affordable "econo knife" that sells for somewhere around 16. For that price I would save myself the time and trouble and just pick one of them up.

Brent

shugar:
i wouldn't know where to bring the knife to get cut or rounded out...
The knife will break right off. I secure it in a vise and with a pair of pliers snap the top off to the right size, but two pairs of pliers will do the job. Then, just file smooth. Total time, about two minutes.

thanks guys...

don't want to get one as with import duties and what-nots added on that $16 becomes at least $20 and i can get this whole thing done for a whopping $4 or less

btw: last question: how much "blade" do i need? is 2.5 inches enough?

thanks!

Jag

Snap it of and then round it by scrapping on a concrete curb.

dumpsterDiver:
Snap it of and then round it by scrapping on a concrete curb.
concrete curb! brilliant!

there's craploads of that stuff all over the place here! you can even bring some home! (in places where the local authorities see it as an aesthetic bonus)

thanks!

Jag

Back
Top Bottom