Question about “balanced rigs” and having all ballast unditchable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost hesitate to add to this thread, but I think my question is germane, and it comes from a new diver.

My question is what others consider "ditchable" in rec diving. Does that only mean quick release (like a weight belt or integrated weights) or is it any weight accessible by the diver (like a trim pocket on the harness)? Or some other definition?

I am considering a bp/w setup, and although I like the idea of having as much weight as possible on my back, I've decided that an AL backplate would be the best decision for me and give me the most flexibility with weighting.

Given I won't need much weight, I was thinking of just adding a couple of trim weight pockets on the belt or shoulder straps. For a new diver, would others consider this sufficiently "ditchable" with a catastrophic wing failure or other emergency?

For reference, I will be diving in tropical waters (Indonesia) with a 3mm fullsuit or shorty and an AL80. I'm a dense, skinny person (about 6'0 160-165) and need about 4 kgs with a rental BC (Aqualung Waves seem common here).

I'll defer to mods on whether or not this would be better asked in a new thread.

I almost hesitate to add to this thread, but I think my question is germane, and it comes from a new diver.

My question is what others consider "ditchable" in rec diving. Does that only mean quick release (like a weight belt or integrated weights) or is it any weight accessible by the diver (like a trim pocket on the harness)? Or some other definition?

I am considering a bp/w setup, and although I like the idea of having as much weight as possible on my back, I've decided that an AL backplate would be the best decision for me and give me the most flexibility with weighting.

Given I won't need much weight, I was thinking of just adding a couple of trim weight pockets on the belt or shoulder straps. For a new diver, would others consider this sufficiently "ditchable" with a catastrophic wing failure or other emergency?

For reference, I will be diving in tropical waters (Indonesia) with a 3mm fullsuit or shorty and an AL80. I'm a dense, skinny person (about 6'0 160-165) and need about 4 kgs with a rental BC (Aqualung Waves seem common here).

I'll defer to mods on whether or not this would be better asked in a new thread.
Ditchable weight is any lead that you can remove and drop in the water quickly and easily without the use of tools, or having to spend time unlacing or disassembling any part of your rig to remove weight in a timely fashion.

Weight belts, weights in pockets that can be jettisoned, clipped on weights that can be dropped, all would examples of ditchable weights.

Weights bolted onto a plate, strung onto cam bands, strung onto waist belts, these would be examples of non ditchable weights.

When I started diving everybody used weightbelts. We were taught that if you got in trouble and needed to establish positive buoyancy you were to jettison your weight belt (mostly at the surface, but not always).
As time went on, integrated BC became more and more popular but the weight systems were still ditchable.
Then came BP/W setups, but most or all people I knew, including me, used weightbelts with them, just smaller ones because the weight of the plate was figured into the sum total.
So now, in the more recent past it seems to have become fashionable for people who use BP/W to somehow attach all their weight to their rigs in an unditchable form, I.E. weight plates, bars, tank weights, fixed weights on straps, extra heavy back plates, etc.
I’m just wondering where this mentality came from and what was the original specific purpose for such an idea? I personally don’t understand why having ditchable weight is not optimal, to me having ditchable weight is a great safety tool.
I’m seeing many people buy into the no ditchable weight balanced rig idea, and I wonder if they really understand what they are getting into, and if they understand the original purpose.
What is the original theory behind it?
None unditchable weight is for technical diving.

Last edited:

FWIW I'm in a similar boat. I can't find it now but the take away from one thread was that in our setup even with zero ditchable you can easily kick yourself/buddy up, so having something as ditchable is ok. Other thing to consider is your view on fully ditching weight at depth versus partial. General upshot was that it's never wise to fully ditch at depth, and a no-brainer to fully ditch at surface. Apart from that, where the zero ditchable (again, our setup) becomes unstuck is if there's multiple failures; e.g. both you and buddy tear your wings and your buddy is narc'd and you need to kick both up. I'm interested in your progress, but am stuck at a different stage of what seems to be a lack of 18lb wing choice. Perhaps do create a separate post and you'll definitely get a lot of helpful info about your setup.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom