Quarry Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Uranium mine? Hmmmmmm. I'm not sure how tempting that sounds.

Checking out a few more this weekend. Just having a sook.

Glow in the dark dive gear ! :D - maybe you won't be needing any torches - P

So who's got the most impressive quarry close to home?

Dang, noone has mentioned Dutch Springs in PA? Fantastic place Dutch Springs

Wife and I have season passes ($200) for the whole summer. Unlimited diving, 7 days a week. Its 3 hrs from our house which might seem like a lot, but its not compared to what we can do there, visibility etc vs other mud holes closer. Just to hit the Atlantic for one day is $150, and viz there is just the same hit or miss.

Lots of folks poo-poo quarry diving, but for us its like a day at the beach. It is what you make of it.

Old Uranium mine? Hmmmmmm. I'm not sure how tempting that sounds.

There's some interesting aquatic life in there!

Blinky-300x293.gif

Zebra mussels are considered an invasive species in the US per federal law National Invasive Species Act (1996).

i'm very leery of trying quarry diving down here... not sure if any gators have decided to make them their homes.

I have not been home to Lauderdale for over 20 years now, but I used to dive the quarry right off of griffin road. Seen gators and they never bothered any of us. I also dove in some large ponds in Plantation and never was bothered by the gators.

I wanted to ask how much.

I've seen mention of Dutch springs here on this site. Now I know. Thanks.

After looking at a lot of this I wonder what it woud take for SB to have a database of sorts on the site to look up non ocean dive sites with pertinate info and pics as a means of a site locater. I lnow I would get out more if i knew there was a 50' quarry 40 miles from me. Its done somewhat with the singles form. so why not?????? I see lots of benifits in this. Clearly a better look at landlocked diving compared to what is now available. I am sure that the dir wall pales in the shadow of the fresh/salt water comunities wall.

I have been drug to quarries a few times kicking and screaming the whole way. I guess not a totally unfortunate experience. But, I would rather dive just about anywhere in the ocean than a quarry. I have no use for them. And, I would rate any sort of man made impoundment like a lake only slightly better.

N

Takes me a 3 hour drive to Melbourne to dive with pretentious folk who won't deal with you unless you spend money in their dive shop. IF it's not too cold!

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but the Bay isn't THAT cold! It was 17 degrees (celsius) when I was in the water at Blairgowrie yesterday morning.

I moved to Melbourne only a few months ago, and there are a few dive shops down here that really need to get over themselves and learn to like the idea of having new customers.

That said, I consider that I have four LDSs:

1. One where I've forked out to become a club member because they're a welcoming bunch, and they're not bad to deal with. They don't have exclusive rights to my business, which I'm not sure goes down entirely well, but they do get first pick, and if they've got what I'm looking for, then they get my money.

2. The nearest shop that does my cylinder fills, mainly because they're handy (I've got expensive toll roads between home and shop 1) and they sell things that I can't get at shop 1.

3. A shop down the Mornington Peninsula where I'm doing tech dive training, mainly because they've got an instructor I'm comfortable with.

4. A shop in Auckland, New Zealand (no, I'm not kidding) who I've dealt with for years, and will probably keep my servicing business because their service techs are outstandingly good.

Back on subject, when I lived in Auckland, we didn't have any quarries nearby, but you could dive in Lake Pupuke. Or if you want to sound really intrepid, go dive in a volcano.:D Seriously, it's a flooded volcanic crater that officially bottoms out at 57m when you hit silty goo.

Nothing particularly interesting apart from The Pipes, The Caves (really impressive - they go back a whole 300... millimetres,) an eel that I recall was named Nigel, and some seriously vicious thermoclines in the height of summer, but a busy spot when the weather's bad and you're in need of some hyperbaric nitrogen therapy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom