Quarry Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Busdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok it is mid-March and time for us non-ice diving folks to get ready for the season.

Will the find folks who head down to Whitestar, Gilboa, and Portage please let us know when the ice is gone and when diving is open.

It is my understanding that Portage is closed for a few more months regardless of ice conditions. Rich, when is Whitestar open full time?

If I am correct Gilboa is open full time but still has ice? Follow up statement from many should be--"you are rarely correct."

Bone Swallower and I will provide up dates on the St. Clair River.

Finally charter season is right around the corner. This year Bone Toucher will be providing weekly guided tours on the North Star, Regina (his baby), New York, and a break dancing event on the Col AB Williams. I will be providing extensive tours on the Eliza Strong.

Ha, time to get out and play.

Bus, aka as the Manatee of the Great Lakes aka as not him again

White star was open water last weekend with a few chunks... Rescue divers and above can come out for free diving March 27... any public safety types too. The quarry opens for diving every day April 1 at 8am... I plan on being there then for the whole weekend and it will be open water.

Can't wait to see you all out diving again soon! Get your gear to your LDS for service so you are truly ready!

RIch

CamG and I did a couple of dives today (April 2nd) at Gilboa. Although the topside was a little cool and windy, the dives were great. Temp was a pretty consistent at about 38 degrees down to about 60 feet or so. Visibility was at least 50 feet. CamG and I did two dives on the shallow side. Great way to start off the open water season. Hope everyone can get out soon and practice up those skils before wreck season gets into full swing!

See you all below!

Myself and a few buddies put in some of the buoys and raised one of the platforms today. There were a lot of divers out there enjoying the 44degree water temp and the good vis.

Looking forward to more diving and seeing the fish grow. The Ohio DNR put 2400 steelhead trout in the quarry last fall and last month put in 30,000 brown trout (they are really small.) In about a month 2400 rainbow trout get put in there too! It will be a great thing to see.

Rich;

I'm going to actually break the trend this year and come out and visit you and dive White Star for the first time. Are you opened during the week or just on weekends? I love during-the-week diving.

Rich;

I'm going to actually break the trend this year and come out and visit you and dive White Star for the first time. Are you opened during the week or just on weekends? I love during-the-week diving.

I'm with you Denny...like the mid-week, too. Pretty flexible at work here and a big fan of WSQ. Open till sunset daily I believe, but concession hours are limited. Weekends only starting later this month and wednesdays in the Summer.
Let me know if your going and/or need a buddy.
Ryan.

I'm with you Denny...like the mid-week, too. Pretty flexible at work here and a big fan of WSQ. Open till sunset daily I believe, but concession hours are limited. Weekends only starting later this month and wednesdays in the Summer.
Let me know if your going and/or need a buddy.
Ryan.

How about some time in May? For me, the rest of April is very busy right now. I can usually break away on any given day. Let me know what works for you.

Rich;

I am open during the week on wednesdays after Memorial day... the quarry is always open but concession has weird hours. Weekdays are agreat! I love wednesdays and week day dives!

Let me know when you are coming and I will do my best to meet you there!

Back
Top Bottom