Quality of rental gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brshooter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Will be spending 15 days down near Akumal in November. My dive buddy and I are both newly certified divers. Neither of us have purchased BCD or regs yet so we will be renting this gear. Should be be concerned about the quality of gear available? We could rent this gear from my LDS and take it with us. I know what their gear is like.
Any thoughts or comments? Have you had problems with rental gear?

Also, any recommendations for dive operations in the area? Anyone to avoid?

Thanks to all.

We are renting a house on Tankah Bay. Between Akumal and Tulum. Will be there November 2nd thru 17th.

I would hope that the dive shops all maintain their gear as they rely upon the tourist industry. I also hate to make assumptions.

Thanks to all

brshooter - Are you diving out of Tan-kah? If so, your only Dive Op option on that Bay is Tankah Inn Unique Bed & Breakfast, Tankah Bay Riviera Maya, Mexican Caribbean, www.tankah.com Which villa are you renting?

I would make the drive to Akumal Playa (about 15 minutes North on Hwy 307) and dive with The Akumal Dive Center AKUMAL DIVE CENTER - Scuba and cave diving courses/trips, south of Cancun I dive with this Dive Op regularly and their rental gear is top-notch. Cheppo @ the Akumal Dive Center is one heck of a DM!!!

Never assume ANYTHING while diving in Mexico...or anywhere in the world!

I wouldn't assume anyone maintains their gear. I have seen first-hand that some do not do routine maintenance. "Fix it when it breaks" seems to be common, certainly not everyone does that but go by what others KNOW about some operators.

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, I hate making assumptions so that is why I am asking. So, I guess the question is, should we rent and haul bcd's & regs from my LDS, or would you feel comfortable renting gear down there? Have you had a bad experience with anyone?

ScubaBumlet, we are renting Casa Caribena Casa Caribena: Tankah Tres/Bay rental beach house, Mexico. Have not stayed there before. Last trip we stayed at Cabanas La Conchita on Tulum Beach. We loved it. Hoping we enjoy this as much.

Thanks for the replys.

Will be spending 15 days down near Akumal in November. My dive buddy and I are both newly certified divers. Neither of us have purchased BCD or regs yet so we will be renting this gear. Should be be concerned about the quality of gear available? We could rent this gear from my LDS and take it with us. I know what their gear is like.
Any thoughts or comments? Have you had problems with rental gear?

Also, any recommendations for dive operations in the area? Anyone to avoid?

Thanks to all.

There's no way to tell. I've seen rental gear that actually had fungus growing in it, as well as rental gear that looked like they just took it out of the box that morning.

Even within the same shop, there's no way to tell if the size you need or reg you get will be brand new or a corroded useless lump.

Bring your own stuff. If you don't have it, rent it locally and bring it with you. At least you'll know what you're bringing.

Also, for what almost 2 weeks of rental will cost, you might be better off just buying your own stuff. Then when you get back from vacation, you'll still own it.

Terry

brshooter - Are you diving out of Tan-kah? If so, your only Dive Op option on that Bay is Tankah Inn Unique Bed & Breakfast, Tankah Bay Riviera Maya, Mexican Caribbean, www.tankah.com Which villa are you renting?

I would make the drive to Akumal Playa (about 15 minutes North on Hwy 307) and dive with The Akumal Dive Center AKUMAL DIVE CENTER - Scuba and cave diving courses/trips, south of Cancun I dive with this Dive Op regularly and their rental gear is top-notch. Cheppo @ the Akumal Dive Center is one heck of a DM!!!

Never assume ANYTHING while diving in Mexico...or anywhere in the world!

Ditto on Cheppo. don't kow about their rental gear since i never rent. what tends to make me nervous about rental gear is the number of vacation divers I have seen rinsing "their" regs while depressing the purge button or other idiocies. kind of difficult for a shop to keep up with that kind of abuse.

I am most comfortable in my OWN gear, cuz I'm used to it. I don't like putting a rental reg mouthpieces in MY mouth. The Dive Center has decent rental gear - Last trip I went with someone that had to rent a BCD. It was brand new, looks like they just got in a new shipment of BCD and reg's. Maintenance of rental equipment...now that's a good question...

I say, bite the bullet and get your own gear. You will use it for years to come if you buy smartly.

Casa Caribeña is right next door to the Tan-kah Inn, they have a Dive Op. Manatee Cenote is still clogged with debris from Hurricane Dean and I am very sad to say that Casa Cenote is colsed for repairs. It got hit hard by Dean.

go on south to Mahaual at costa Maya and contact Maya Palms for the Chinchorro Banks diving, the best along that reef system. After the Hurricane, it may be a little rough now. but they will definately show you a good time, and their equipment is all sherwood and top shelf stuff

wwww.mayapalms.com

in the area there are only about 200 people left in the town down from almost 4,000 before the hurricane, so you will be the only ones in the water!!!!Operated by the Bonne terre group out of Missouri

Back
Top Bottom