Purchasing own equipment online/lds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

retired:
We are new divers that intend to spend a lot of time in the Florida waters. We want to purchase our own BCDs etc, but found the dive shop prices in many cases out of sight. LDS price for a Seaquest Libra was $570, Leisurepro price(internet) $409. That is a big difference. I'm sure the rest of the gear would be similar in price difference. We love our LDS, the people there, the instructors etc. and would really feel bad not to buy their products, but we could do a lot of upgrading in equipment with the money saved purchasing from the internet.
Suggestions on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, I see your in Port Richey, well anywho, I have been on this site for a few months now and This is my first post, Have you been to Scuba West in Hudson latley? They have a sale going on every day From Dec 8th until Dec 19th.. just though I would give you a heads up..:).. I also believe they will usually match online prices.. (not sure about leisure pro prices though)

This question (LDS vs Online) seems to surface every few months, and usually develops into a very long thread. Businessmen with vision realize that SCUBA is a limited market, and in order to grow (survive?) they need to reach beyond their geographical marketplace. That's what Scubatoys, Scuba.com, Dive Rite Express, and others have done. I've always found those three to be helpful and honest (several times I've heard, "What do you need that for?" while on the phone), and have had no problem if I need to return an item. I'll avoid the Leisure Pro / grey market debate, because it's been dragged through the mud ad infinitum.

I have a favorite LDS, and purchase many things from him. He just doesn't carry everything I've wanted. Some items are a lot cheaper online, or more readily available. My reg and BCD were both purchased from my LDS, at the best price he could afford to sell them to me.

If I lived in the Dallas area, Scubatoys would be my LDS of choice. It's just a little too far to commute from NY! And on another note...... if you've ever seen Joe, you wouldn't be calling him a fairy! :11:

Yea, nyprr I can't understand why people can't do both, they have to be so specific and label themselves as to doing only one or the other.

There are MANY reasons to support your local dive shop:

1. You can't get air online. If you don't support your shop in other ways, they won't be around to fill your tanks.

2. If something goes wrong with the equipment, and it has to go back to the manufacturer for repairs, THEY will run interference with the manufacturer. That's their job. They will negotiate for you, and do all that needs to be done so the equipment either gets repaired or replaced. Less hassle for you.

3. If they are a good shop they've researched the gear they carry, and can tell you a great deal about it's benefits and disadvantages.

4. Running the shop is their job. It's how they feed their family. Support your local economy, and help a local business person stay in business. Don't send your dollars out of state. It's the same idea as corporations outsourcing jobs overseas. Sure it's cheaper, but it doesn't help the American public. Sure it's cheaper to buy online, but you aren't helping your local businesses by sending your dollars elsewhere.

LittleBug:
There are MANY reasons to support your local dive shop:

so should i support a terrible shop just because it's local?

i would ammend your statement to say, "There are MANY reasons to support your good local dive shop."

if they are a crappy shop, we'll all be better off without them. that way there will be less competition for the good shop, which can come on the scene and thrive.

i say let's get rid of all the bad shops by giving our money to the good shops, whether local, on-line, or hybrid.

the best thing you can do for your local shop is spend your money for the most value (whatever that is). that way your local shop will have to adapt or die... and those that survive will truly be worth spending your money at

H2Andy:
so should i support a terrible shop just because it's local?

i would ammend your statement to say, "There are MANY reasons to support your good local dive shop."

if they are a crappy shop, we'll all be better off without them. that way there will be less competition for the good shop, which can come on the scene and thrive.

i say let's get rid of all the bad shops by giving our money to the good shops, whether local, on-line, or hybrid.

Theres some sense in that comment, the less then quality shops don't need to be kept up and going.

I guess we should all feel guilty about our Caribbean diving vacations since that's thousands of dollars that could have been spent somewhere in the USA.

Haha, there you go reefhound... thats how you make a point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom