Purchasing own equipment online/lds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w:
I know, but you wouldn't believe the number of kids and their parents who come in with old (usually neon colored) AL 80s looking for a fill. They are amazed when I wont fill their tanks w/o a C-Card. I dove for a almost year w/o certification when I was 13 doing crazy stuff in the Great Lakes while sneaking fills and around my parents. Now, I have a bad dream about some kid dead next the Sanibel Island Bridge with a tank filled by me under the assumption he was going to use it for paintball.

No thanks.

I believe you will find that there are many other shop that profitably support their paintballer customers who complete an appropriat waiver and certification that the fill will be used for paintball and not scuba. I find it hard to understand why a business would turn away profit making opportunities.

awap:
I believe you will find that there are many other shop that profitably support their paintballer customers who complete an appropriat waiver and certification that the fill will be used for paintball and not scuba. I find it hard to understand why a business would turn away profit making opportunities.

We do just fine without the paintballers. Losing the profit margin on a $3.00 fill to five or six kids a week is tough, but we survive. Somehow our compressor runs all day anyway.

matts1w:
We do just fine without the paintballers. Losing the profit margin on a $3.00 fill to five or six kids a week is tough, but we survive. Somehow our compressor runs all day anyway.

Yes, it is only $15 per week. I wonder how much it would be if you satisfied those customers between repeat business and word of mouth advertisement? How much do you figure you lose to Leisurepro each week? I guess your' shop is not one of those complaining about how bad business is and how the internet is killing them.

awap:
Yes, it is only $15 per week. I wonder how much it would be if you satisfied those customers between repeat business and word of mouth advertisement? How much do you figure you lose to Leisurepro each week? I guess your' shop is not one of those complaining about how bad business is and how the internet is killing them.

Awap:

Im not going to get in some pissing contest about where I work. You are 100% right; we are not complaining. Instead, we are providing great product at a fair price, great customer service and repair no matter where you buy your stuff, great classes, fun trips, solid information, honesty, and serve a certain niche in the SW Florida dive population. By the way, I cant take credit for this as the LDS's reputation and foundation has been solidifed by the owner and 15 years of stand-up business. I am SO fortunate to be a part of his business and incredibly proud to work there... as is the rest of his staff.

If you are ever in Fort Myers look us up, or, better yet, join us for a dive or three.

Best of luck to you.

Matt

matts1w:
If you are ever in Fort Myers look us up, or, better yet, join us for a dive or three.

I will. It sounds like an uncommonly good LDS.

After all of these years on this planet, spending a good portion of it in the military, I have found that most things have a fairly simple solution. It is PEOPLE, with their agendas, and often one-sides solutions that make things as difficult as they are.

Getting a little off point, but to give you an example to a simple solution to the LDS/internet sales.

First of all, if there is one phrase I am tired of hearing is, "they have a tiny profit margin", or even better yet, "we aren't making ANY money on that". If this is the case, you are either doing something wrong, or have failed to "tune" your business.

My daughter is getting married, so since my lady doesn't want to be embarassed by the way I dress, its off to the clothing store.
Try buying a size 52 sport coat, with a 19/37 shirt and a 38/32 pair of slacks that match.
The salesman looked it up in the catalog, tacked on a percentage, and I am waiting for it to arrive. Alterations on the shirt and jacket extra.
So this store made money on the sale, money on the alterations. I wasn't left with the attitude that I was being "boned" , and I'm sure I will be a repeat customer in the future. Just liked the guy.
So if I am to understand correctly, the LDS people sell products from "the" manu. that doesn't let him discount (much). So therefore he has a limited amount of products, overpriced, and his money is tied up in inventory that doesn't sell. (except to "new divers", who once they find out that that BCD they paid $570 for was only $365 on the internet, AND THEY SAVED SALES TAX. Plus it probably got delivered free to their door. Do any of the owners of the LDS really think that I would be back to their store? And I won't even discuss the fact that the first one I dealth with felt like he was doing me a favor to even talk to me.

Times have changed. Diving sites like this one are loaded with people like yourselves that are happy to give advise on problems and equipment. Although it may be rarely said, most of us new people (unexperienced) are just sorry that we can't thank all of you in person.

My solution to all of this is simply this. Why doesn't the LDS purchase the piece of equipment I picked on the internet, mark a 10% or so markup for their "margin" and sell it to me. YOU make the profit, and I get some of your expertise. YOU also get my repeat business. Plus your money isn't tied up in inventory.

And lets getting something straight right now! We new divers aren't worried about "warranties" at this stage, we are worried about "drowning". We can always work something out if a piece of equipment has to be repaired.

There is a very old saying in business. (hope I got it right) "You can't do business with someone that is pissed off at you"

Now I am aware that there are some GREAT LDS people. I think the dive shop people I deal with are. But times change, and if you don't change, you will be left behind.

They claim that only one out of five new divers will stay with the sport. The main reason given-COST.

I pestered the guys there with questions for weeks. They were always pleasant. Never copped an attitude with me at all.

I finally bought:

Atomic B2
Atomic Z2
Henderson Hyperstretch 1 piece
Seaquest Malibu
Suunto Cobra Propack

I got 20% off everything except the suit which I got 25% off. Plus they threw in a very nice Atomic Reg bag for free.

No warranty worries either. Filled out for me and sent off.

I did a comparison with LP and it was almost the same.

That's why I'll continue to shop at my LDS and do more training through them.

Chris

TheAquaticApe:
I pestered the guys there with questions for weeks. They were always pleasant. Never copped an attitude with me at all.

I finally bought:

Atomic B2
Atomic Z2
Henderson Hyperstretch 1 piece
Seaquest Malibu
Suunto Cobra Propack

I got 20% off everything except the suit which I got 25% off. Plus they threw in a very nice Atomic Reg bag for free.

No warranty worries either. Filled out for me and sent off.

I did a comparison with LP and it was almost the same.

That's why I'll continue to shop at my LDS and do more training through them.

Chris

Can you pass the name of that dive shop along? I live in Northeast Ohio and would be interested in a shop with pricing like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom