Purchasing own equipment online/lds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt has far as I have seen the way most people work around that is use a valve that isnt scuba friendlly on the scuba tanks used for paintball compressed air.

matts1w:
So does one fill a kids scuba tank w/o a c-card? We dont.

Well, people aren't exactly playing paintball with AL 80's strapped to their backs.:huh:

The paintball tanks are very small (45-90 CI) and have an entirely different fitting than SCUBA tanks. However, there are some players that do use AL 80's for refilling their paintball tanks at the field. Perhaps that is what you are referring to? If so, I can certainly understand the potential liability issues that would require you to see a c-card from the person getting it filled.

Cheekymonkey:
matt has far as I have seen the way most people work around that is use a valve that isnt scuba friendlly on the scuba tanks used for paintball compressed air.

I know, but you wouldn't believe the number of kids and their parents who come in with old (usually neon colored) AL 80s looking for a fill. They are amazed when I wont fill their tanks w/o a C-Card. I dove for a almost year w/o certification when I was 13 doing crazy stuff in the Great Lakes while sneaking fills and around my parents. Now, I have a bad dream about some kid dead next the Sanibel Island Bridge with a tank filled by me under the assumption he was going to use it for paintball.

No thanks.

Swan1172:
The paintball tanks are very small (45-90 CI) and have an entirely different fitting than SCUBA tanks. However, there are some players that do use AL 80's for refilling their paintball tanks at the field. Perhaps that is what you are referring to? If so, I can certainly understand the potential liability issues that would require you to see a c-card from the person getting it filled.

That is exactly what they do. Paintball is HUGE around here.

I understand what you mean man, I was just letting you know how it goes normally. If I was you I sure wouldnt fill them either, not worth the lawsuit.

Very nice then, around here in CT its hard to find paintball shops :(

Dive Right In Scuba:
We fill the actual bottles they use....but I wont fill a bigger bottle...just the small ones...

There is a paintball course(if thats what they are called) about a mile from the shop

Funny, I was going to suggest selling paintball equip. along with scuba so you'll have plenty of business all season... :D

Dive Right In Scuba:
Those 15 are dive stores that were selling to a place like LP, that would then sell them extremely cheap with no warranty. Im sure those shops were actually doing good as LP was selling the product for them....and thats just one Manufacturer that Im talking about that does this. There are many that dont monitor that close because its expensive. Im not saying its enough, but at least they are trying........ When MAP price is enforced, you should see the same price at your LDS as at an online store that is an authorized dealer.....

Swan, its great posting with you by the way you have some great points!

So let me get this straight.

The manufacturer sells to the LDS

The LDS then sells to Leisure Pro at a small profit--at least a small profit I would think. I don't think they would sell it at cost or a loss--it would put them out of business

Leisure Pro then sells at a great price to people like me.

Then the LDS says they can't compete with how cheap LP is selling the stuff when the LDS sold it to LP in the first place?????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

So if LP is getting all this stuff from people like these 15 LDS's why can't they just sell to me at a good price. Then the LDS should not have any problem competing.

Sorry Dive Right, I am just not buying the lines you are selling in this thread. I am sure you run a fine shop and do a great job for your customers.

LP probably gets directly from the manufacture.

The manufacture simply doesnt care that LP cuts the prices and breaks the rules becuase they push a 100x more regs out the door than any normal LDS, all while being competitive with similar brands of regs on the same site. And to add to all this, the manufacture doesnt have to worry about warranties.

plot:
LP probably gets directly from the manufacture.

The manufacture simply doesnt care that LP cuts the prices and breaks the rules becuase they push a 100x more regs out the door than any normal LDS, all while being competitive with similar brands of regs on the same site. And to add to all this, the manufacture doesnt have to worry about warranties.

Plot, I believe you are correct. I was just trying to point out that his arguement does not make sense. He claims to be an authority on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom