Purchasing own equipment online/lds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakkis:
Compressors actually use up a good amount of electricity. I don't know the actual numbers, but my understanding is that air at $5/fill is teetering on the edge of operating at a loss.
Hmmm... got my curiosity. I'll ask the owner of the first LDS in my post above to see if he'll share with me the op cost. He used to give free air fills up until a couple of years ago. Then he started charging $4 per fill - still current price. the $6 per fill is at the other LDS at the beach; and Sport Chalet around here charges $5. I'd be more than happy to pay my LDS $6; he and his wife are REALLY nice folks. They gave me a great price on a new air tank couple of years ago - lower than Leisurepro's price for the same tank before shipping charge.

rakkis:
What's more expensive? 2-3 people on the floor for 10 hrs a day (20-30 hrs of paid labor) or having the same 2-3 answering phones and packing in non-overlapping schedules?

It comes down to insurance. A warehouse with no costumers coming gets to pay a lot less. Also, rent for industrial locations is cheaper than retail space.

Good point. Retail stores do not incur this expense... at least nowhere near close to what online stores pay.

A storerage warehouse has to pay a lot less in terms of heating. You do not need to keep the whole thing warm for costumers. Electricity? Doesn't need to be on during all operation hours. usually restricted to a time frame when stuff is getting stocked or shipped.

Your argument would get a better response if you presented it in a more reasonable andless combative manner. As far as online vs. LDS it comes down to much cheaper rent, much cheaper insurance, quite a bit cheaper labor (compared to an LDS that does the same volume of business or course... it's not fair to say scuba.com pays more labor yet still comes up ahead. places like that can only afford so much labor because they do THAT much business). You know what? That's the competitive advantage of an online store. Great for them! It's good to see them putting that advantage to good use. The fact remains... an online store is cheaper to run than an LDS of comparable transaction volume - no fairies needed.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Leah is being facetious. Joe and Larry run an LDS. I've been to ScubaToys. They are an LDS with a pool on site. I've also been to TDL, another LDS that sells gear for great prices. Scuba.com is an LDS. Diveriteexpress is an LDS. Dive Sports is an LDS. The point is most of the online stores are LDSs that have figured out the business model. These are all very successful businesses.

Dive-aholic:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Leah is being facetious. Joe and Larry run an LDS. I've been to ScubaToys. They are an LDS with a pool on site. I've also been to TDL, another LDS that sells gear for great prices. Scuba.com is an LDS. Diveriteexpress is an LDS. Dive Sports is an LDS. The point is most of the online stores are LDSs that have figured out the business model. These are all very successful businesses.

Adapt or perish. All of these LDS operators have figured out how to integrate internet sales into their business models and are doing very well.

Swan1172:
Adapt or perish. All of these LDS operators have figured out how to integrate internet sales into their business models and are doing very well.

ya man...

survival of the ... er... survival of the...

what's that word?

:crafty:

traditional? no ... I dont think thats the one... but what is it...

H2Andy:
ya man...

survival of the ... er... survival of the...

what's that word?

:crafty:

It's not the fittest. Darwin really showed it is survival to the one that is most adaptable to change to fit the needs of the given environment. Today's environment is not the same as it was 10 years ago... nor will it be the same 10 years from now. That is a lot of the reason I hit this board. It keeps me up with the changing environment - world wide. Taking the temperature of the board, while not a true exact cross section of our customers, does help one gauge "environmental changes" in attitudes, preferences, and buying patterns. Then we try to change to meet that environment.

Many shops that used to call me a ton of names for selling on the internet, now have their own pages. Of the names they called me back then, I can't remember one that called me insightful of the future.

Someone once asked Willie Mayes, "What makes a good outfielder?"

Willie replied, "That's easy. A good outfielder knows where the ball is. A great outfielder knows where it will be."

scubatoys:
It's not the fittest. Darwin really showed it is survival to the one that is most adaptable to change to fit the needs of the given environment.

yes, it is the fittest...

Darwin defined "fittest" as "best able to adapt"

:D

well, here's the exact quote:

"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals because they succeed in adapting themselves best to their environment."

Charles Darwin

though Darwin didn't coin the term "survival of the fittest," he expressely endorsed it:

"The expression often used by Mr. Herbert Spencer of the 'Survival of the Fittest' is more accurate, and is sometimes equally convenient"

Charles Darwin

Yea, I know that is how the quote goes, but when people look at it on the surface, some read fittest as simply the strongest. You see the life guard on the beach and say, wow, look how fit he is... as in fitness coach.

You are 100% right - but the shortened quote takes out what I feel is the most important factor - when dealing with blue footed boobies, or scuba shops - and that is the ability to adapt. And while Webster has that definition for fit:

1) : adapted to an end or design : suitable by nature or by art (2) : adapted to the environment so as to be capable of surviving

To many the other definition stands out:

sound physically and mentally : HEALTHY

And I always point out to my employees, it does not matter how much we did in sales last week. It doesn't matter how good our customer service was last month. What matters is how are we going to do today, and how are we going to improve for tomorrow.

scubatoys:
And I always point out to my employees, it does not matter how much we did in sales last week. It doesn't matter how good our customer service was last month. What matters is how are we going to do today, and how are we going to improve for tomorrow.

Larry, that is exactly why you have made Scubatoys so successful. Leaders tend to stand out by being different. They question basic assumptions and are suspicious of tradition. They seek out the truth and make decisions based on fact, not prejudice. They have a preference for innovation.

Back
Top Bottom