Trip Report Punta Sur - Devils Throat - August, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious to know what is the average time that one exits the Devil's Throat, that is how many minutes into the dive does one hit the exit and no longer is in an overhead situation?

Curious to know what is the average time that one exits the Devil's Throat, that is how many minutes into the dive does one hit the exit and no longer is in an overhead situation?
2-3 minutes.

Going slow thru there is maybe 5 minutes from entrance to deep exit. Like if you go thru with 6 people, there is usually a waiting time at the throat itself but you could always bailout the entrance and there's also an exit before the deep exit.

We are going to go cookout at el cielo tomorrow afternoon, maybe I'll go do a detailed video down there....

Seems like it would suck if one was the third diver in a pack of six, and the diver in front freaked out or had an issue. What's the bailout plan?

There is plenty of room and I've never been there without someone vetted first - it's simply a big swim thru is all.

Been there, done that, it was OK. I probably won't again.

Been there, done that, go the T-shirt. I guess DT is more of a "bucket list" dive for most folks. (Maybe the Dive Op should give you a T-shirt???) Every time I have done it, the Dive Op always gave us notice the day before and gave us the option of having a DM guide a separate group over it.

Barracuda is another dive site where the DM's usually give you advanced notice, and most will ask you to sit it out if your dive skills are not quite ready for that E-Ticket dive.

As a rule in general, I now avoid swim-thru's because IMHO there really isn't much to see in most, as they are void of interesting marine life for the most part. Another reason why is that not all divers are aware of how much silt they kick up while flutter kicking through them with poor buoyancy & trim control.

Punta Sur Cathedral is a much more interesting dive IMHO.

Thanks for posting the video!

The music is an AC/DC song. Interesting that some are able to view and some are not. YouTube servers must block based on IP address.

Whether there are ways to get around it or not, it is usually a copyright violation to use such songs as background music. Not lecturing just letting you know it may not be worth the constant hassle as sometimes it is blocked by filters and sometimes it is reported later by users, and you can get your account locked. There is a whole world of royalty-free music that is, in my opinion, more peaceful and suitable for underwater scenes.

I hope dive ops are NOT surprising people with a trip to that location.

I have read many reports of people diving it on 32%.

I plan on going for my next trip in a few months on 21%.

About 12 or so years ago I was diving with Scuba Mau, who were great people and met my needs but somewhat "renegade" as there have been a few controversial incidents with them that I won't go into now. I had a group of six experienced divers and we went to a site where the briefing was simply there are currents so gather on the sand at 60' then follow him. About halfway through I thought I recognized the profile, having done DT before, and pretty sure when we emerged. Back on the boat, DM asked how we liked that dive, that was Devil's Throat!

I thought that as nuts to tell people that they were doing an advanced dive after the dive. Now to somewhat defend the DM (a little) we were all experienced and good divers, and this was about our 4th day diving with him so I'm sure he felt we were competent for it. Also, we were all on air.

About 12 or so years ago I was diving with Scuba Mau, who were great people and met my needs but somewhat "renegade" as there have been a few controversial incidents with them that I won't go into now. I had a group of six experienced divers and we went to a site where the briefing was simply there are currents so gather on the sand at 60' then follow him. About halfway through I thought I recognized the profile, having done DT before, and pretty sure when we emerged. Back on the boat, DM asked how we liked that dive, that was Devil's Throat!

I thought that as nuts to tell people that they were doing an advanced dive after the dive. Now to somewhat defend the DM (a little) we were all experienced and good divers, and this was about our 4th day diving with him so I'm sure he felt we were competent for it. Also, we were all on air.
The Wild West days that made Cozumel so unique are also far less prevalent these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom