Trip Report Punta Sur - Devils Throat - August, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Appreciate the visual tour; I've wondered what it looks like. I see there's an alternate exit to the right, but it looks like you guys stayed left and headed deeper before exiting.

At any point in that passage, does it get rather 'tight?' Like, in, would any 'cross-sectionally challenged' divers find it so? Asking in case I run across any so I can tell them...

Richard.

Appreciate the visual tour; I've wondered what it looks like. I see there's an alternate exit to the right, but it looks like you guys stayed left and headed deeper before exiting.

At any point in that passage, does it get rather 'tight?' Like, in, would any 'cross-sectionally challenged' divers find it so? Asking in case I run across any so I can tell them...

Richard.

There is only one tight area and that is what they actually call the throat - you can easily bang your tank valve on it. You go slightly up and then down thru a hole that immediatly opens up. In fact you don't have to go thru the small hole to access the rest of the cave, to the left is a much much bigger entrance.

There is a cave after you exit Devils Throat that is much more restrictive - I don't think many people get led thru that one......

I hope dive ops are NOT surprising people with a trip to that location.

I have read many reports of people diving it on 32%.

I plan on going for my next trip in a few months on 21%.
Surprising???? First time I went through it was near the end of a dive and I was pretty sure as I dropped down that we were in the Devil's Throat.

The one time we dove DT, it was with a group of divers the op knew well. We were told the boat was going there the next day and we had the option to change boats if we wanted. We had been on the same boat for multiple days with that group. Dove it on 32% and a steel 120. Hit 1.6 PO2 briefly, but most of the dive was below 1.4 PO2. The steel 120 creates a measure of safety and allowed us to do an (almost) full dive at Cathedral upon exit rather than being done or close to done after DT.

With HP120's was that with Aldora?

Last time we were there it was offered on the way out.
the wife and I said not for us
Ended up doing Columbia deep, fantastic

Last time I was in Coz, we did the Throat and it WAS NOT anticipated. I was on 32%. No issues resulted, but it was, shall we say, a “concern”.

Back
Top Bottom