Trip Report Punta Sur - Devils Throat - August, 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There should be no pressure on anyone to complete that dive or any other dive. My boat and most boats usually choose the sites, most times the far southern sites, Maricaibo or Punta Sur are talked about a day in advance so that everyone can choose the gas they want.

This is a dive profile from Devils Throat - solo dive - just strictly to take pictures entering and exiting the caves. This is just an example showing how long your PO2 is over 1.4 - it's less than two minutes, and it tops out at 1.6 - this dive at 32% nitrox is done all the time and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Whoever you dive with, they will have some profile or dive plan that should last 45 minutes, we do 60 minutes no problems there as long as the client has good air consumption - it's all in the planning.

IMG_8430.PNG

Just a few curiosity questions based on something I read in another thread:

Did you know beforehand that you would be going to that site? When did the dive op inform you? Were you given the chance to request nitrox for the dive? What size tank did you use?
The operator I use in Cozumel only dives this site on advanced request. All parties are on the boat to specifically dive this site. We do this dive on air because of MOD. The participants should be aware of their narc point. The nitrox MOD tables would allow 26% on this dive to a depth of 144 feet or 27% to 138 feet. I dive this on an aluminum 80.

FYI. Your video is unavailable to me for some reason. Error says it may contain content from SME, who has blocked it in my country on copyright grounds. Given your profile says you are for Florida not sure why I am getting blocked trying to watch video from Texas. Maybe because filmed in Mexico. We will see if other people see same error. I am on my iPhone at the moment
The music is an AC/DC song. Interesting that some are able to view and some are not. YouTube servers must block based on IP address.

Is the site able to be dived without going through the tunnel? Say, staying above?

Yes - Punta Sur is a very large dive site - many swim thrus and two notable places within that site, Cathredal (110') and Devils Throat (deep exit is 125'). It does not have to be dove deep, plenty to see with a max depth of 80'. Very cool, IMO, large formations.

Thanks Chuck for this and your DC log above. I didn't want to be on a boat where everyone but me wanted to dive DT causing me to miss the dive altogether.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom