Punta Sur/Devil's Throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We love Bricks.
Bricks is a great example of why the dive op cheerleading drives me nuts. Not every dm knows how, (or just doesn't), dive Bricks like it should be dove.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
And what is the weakest link?

When you do a dive on a site with the potential for complicated maneuvering, part of the DM's job is to estimate the skills of the dive group and decide what they are capable of doing. You can do the same dive site with the same DM on two different days and have two different dives. If someone in your group has poor buoyancy skills, it can have a big impact.

And what is the weakest link?

When you do a dive on a site with the potential for complicated maneuvering, part of the DM's job is to estimate the skills of the dive group and decide what they are capable of doing. You can do the same dive site with the same DM on two different days and have two different dives. If someone in your group has poor buoyancy skills, it can have a big impact.

The weakest link, as I thought was made clear, is the DM who doesn't/can't/won't dive Bricks or other sites like they should be dove.

I do appreciate your insights into the job and constraints that a DM must consider. It was, however, assumed that the divers all possess adequate skills for the dive. I think boulderjohn, that we could come up with exceptions, vagaries or exigencies until I'm fatigued. Oh. Just realized that I am. G'night.

The weakest link, as I thought was made clear, is the DM who doesn't/can't/won't dive Bricks or other sites like they should be dove.

I do appreciate your insights into the job and constraints that a DM must consider. It was, however, assumed that the divers all possess adequate skills for the dive. I think boulderjohn, that we could come up with exceptions, vagaries or exigencies until I'm fatigued. Oh. Just realized that I am. G'night.

DM's dive these sites what 50-100 times per year? Heck, diving within one company a whole lotta times, with the same person - it was still difficult to learn sites because one person would not dive the site the same way twice in a row - and that was a leader among leaders of DM's.....

I hear it said all the time when I ask why did we do that different - "because I hate doing it the same way all the time"

It's no offense at all - what is right for you or the way you would have done it - it just might have been the way they did it yesterday and they wanted something different that day... There's a lot of divers that do not know the difference between Bricks and Gardens but it is pretty easy to tell the die hard Cozumel divers from the "newbies".

If you are looking or wanting something specific - don't assume it please - just ask. Some of these DM's can just flat out amaze you with their vivid description of a full dive site and if they are a decent DM, they should know what you are talking about.

@ChuckP - Couldn't agree more. We frequently ask the DM where they'd like to go, or ask them for their first 2 choices. Depending on the reef, we don't ask for anything. Cedral shallows comes to mind. There is so much there, that we always come up happy. They have days like all of us - sometimes bored to tears with their job.

Perhaps I should have given an example of a DM not diving Bricks like it should be. We were with one DM who liked to stay above 70', and when the dive was over, remarked that even though Servando had given him the grand tour, he had been unable to locate the swim-throughs. :rolleyes:

@ChuckP - Couldn't agree more. We frequently ask the DM where they'd like to go, or ask them for their first 2 choices. Depending on the reef, we don't ask for anything. Cedral shallows comes to mind. There is so much there, that we always come up happy. They have days like all of us - sometimes bored to tears with their job.

Perhaps I should have given an example of a DM not diving Bricks like it should be. We were with one DM who liked to stay above 70', and when the dive was over, remarked that even though Servando had given him the grand tour, he had been unable to locate the swim-throughs. :rolleyes:

This is why finding a dive op with GREAT DMs who love their job is imperative. Take Pedro Pablo for examble - last I got to dive with him he had like 12k dives and you could tell he STILL LOVES to dive every day and every dive. He still logs every dive!!!!! His passion for diving seems limitless! He never seems bored and will stay in the water until his last diver is OoA and ready to come up. He is THE BEST DM I have ever had in 25 years of diving Cozumel. Find an op/DM like that and I promise EVERY dive will always be awesome.

Diveedgar, Edgar Perez former DM at Aldora has had his own operation for a number of years. Same type of operation as Aldora. Edgar is the best DM I have met on the island, nothing against others, but admittedly Aldora, Dive Martin many years ago, are the only operations I have used in my over 150 dives at Coz. Edgar likes the N. and S. sides of the island as they are for more experienced divers but goes ANYWHERE. Great guy and hope to get down in May.

I am not a fan of swim through's in general. For the most part, they are void of anything worthwhile seeing and I HATE being behind other divers who have poor B&T skills and/or don't know how to frog kick. JMHO/YMMV.

We did DT on my last Coz trip and it was "meh"...
We only did DT because the group I dove with had never done it and I hear PADI has a DT Cert card you can buy for $149.

I would much rather play on Bricks or Cedral.

I am not a fan of swim through's in general. For the most part, they are void of anything worthwhile seeing and I HATE being behind other divers who have poor B&T skills and/or don't know how to frog kick. JMHO/YMMV.

We did DT on my last Coz trip and it was "meh"...
We only did DT because the group I dove with had never done it and I hear PADI has a DT Cert card you can buy for $149.

I would much rather play on Bricks or Cedral.
That's the discounted price if purchased with the Boat dive, Drift dive and Deep dive courses

That's the discounted price if purchased with the Boat dive, Drift dive and Deep dive courses
Hey I owe you an apology. I was slipping into sobriety and called you Steve. WTF? I need a keep a flask with me or something...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom