Puget Sound Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if this will aid in the discussion, but here is a fantastic map of the site:
http://i.imgur.com/h1R0TX7.jpg

Here is some 3D bathymetry from NOAA that gives you an idea of the terrain:
http://i.imgur.com/qNETNp6.png

And the legend for the color shade:
http://i.imgur.com/3fp9jzl.png

Am I correct in assuming from the legend that there is up to a 5 meter tide change in that area? Does swimming across a down current to the west offer a feasible route out of a current?

Am I correct in assuming from the legend that there is up to a 5 meter tide change in that area? Does swimming across a down current to the west offer a feasible route out of a current?

Yes to your first question ... no to your second. Swimming west would take them out into the depths of Puget Sound ... away from shore.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If Bob isn't available to take you diving, JOFTN, I might be . . . We Puget Sounders love introducing folks to our local mudholes, many of which harbor an exciting variety of marine life!

awap, one of the times I got caught in the River, I tried swimming across it to the south, to try to get out of it, and it didn't work. Obviously, there has to be an end to it, but since you are having to swim across AND up, it's a lot of work and you don't make progress very quickly.

Hey, DGunnel, great map of the site. I have some maps, but nothing as good as that one. Thanks for sharing.

We just got back from Bonaire Sunday, to hear of the diver's death the evening before. Made my heart sink. Prayers are with the family and friends.

Yes to your first question ... no to your second. Swimming west would take them out into the depths of Puget Sound ... away from shore.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, in spite of my clear handicap from growing up on the "Jersey" shore, I got my east and west (water and land) straight this time. But does swimming towards open water not take you out of the down current. That is, currents that form in fairly shallow waters and turn downwards over a wall should not be very wide. With a somwewhat safe bottom of 100 ft, that should get you out of the current and into an open water ascent situation without excessive depth dangers.

It isn't actually going down over a wall -- there isn't any wall, just a moderately steep silt slope. And it's quite broad. I suppose you could get out of it by going down to 100 feet and swimming sideways, but I don't know how far you would have to go to do it. I know we swam about a hundred yards sideways the night we ended up on the other side of the fishing pier, and it finally let up. We were making progress upslope the whole time, though.

This is really sad. Condolences to the diver's family :(

Thanks for all the good info about the conditions at this site. I was actually planning on diving here this coming weekend with a group. I'll certainly be extra careful now.

FWIW - her name was Leanne Miller. I went down there this evening with a couple fellow SB'ers, and there were signs and flowers on a rock memorial structure next to the dive site entrance. Sad to see ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL, do a pat down first to make sure there not carrying anything to rob or kill you first....They are from Chicago after all :rofl3:

Hey now, I resemble that remark! My buddy and I just returned from our personal guided dive with Bob, and I can assure you that no violence ensued. He was more than willing to hand over his wallet at the mere suggestion that we would reach for our gats.

On a more serious note, we were the only divers there tonight. There is already a makeshift memorial to the unfortunate woman who passed away. It was a bit surreal to think that this peaceful and serene place was the site of something like that only a couple of days ago. Makes you really appreciate each day, and not to focus on inane minutiae like the definition of "mudhole". BTW, both the dive and Bob were spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom