Puget Sound Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Woman dies while scuba diving in Puget Sound | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News
DES MOINES, Wash. - Fire officials say a woman died Saturday evening while scuba diving in Puget Sound.

South King Fire and Rescue says a crew responded to a report of a diver down shortly before 7 p.m. Saturday at the Redondo Pier in Des Moines.

A news release says a dive partner first tried to help the stricken female diver while both were under water, but failed.

Working with the partner, the rescue crew was able to locate the diver and bring her to shore.

Fire officials say resuscitation began right away, but the diver was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fire officials say initial reports were that the diver had run out of air, but rescuers have not confirmed that or determined the cause of the accident.

No other details were released.

Woman dies while scuba diving in Puget Sound:
A news release says a dive partner first tried to help the stricken female diver while both were under water, but failed.

Woman dies while scuba diving in Puget Sound:
Fire officials say initial reports were that the diver had run out of air, but rescuers have not confirmed that or determined the cause of the accident.

Hopefully the Puget Sound crew will be along shortly to help us. I find the two statements above particularly disturbing if they are correct. The first because it seems the buddy was unable to help provide air and/or support the victim to/at the surface. The second because the cause of the accident may have been something as preventable as running out of air.

I don't know anything more than what the news has reported here at this time, but the site in question is often used for classes.

I've dove it three times over the last decade. It's not particularly challenging, but it does get fairly deep and there are some currents that can pop up there. It's one of those sites where people have been dumping "interesting stuff" for years.

No details available yet. Viz locally has been very good, but the big exchanges we are having right now are a setup for the "Redondo River" which is a fairly powerful downcurrent. The time listed is in the middle of a big ebb tide, which is when that current is most likely to occur. It can be intimidating, especially if the divers are unfamiliar with the site or novices.

No details available yet. Viz locally has been very good, but the big exchanges we are having right now are a setup for the "Redondo River" which is a fairly powerful downcurrent. The time listed is in the middle of a big ebb tide, which is when that current is most likely to occur. It can be intimidating, especially if the divers are unfamiliar with the site or novices.

I experienced that on the only time I dove that site and it was quite unnerving, especially as I was not warned of it beforehand

I was just coming out of the water this afternoon when I was approached by a local TV crew asking me if I knew anything about the accident. I'd done two dives there yesterday, and three today ... this site is my "local mudhole" and I know it very well. I told the TV guy I hadn't heard about the accident, as it must have happened after I left yesterday, and he confirmed that it occurred around 4 PM.

The only thing I can add to what has already been reported is that yesterday we had a very large ebb, starting around 2 PM. By 4 PM water would've been rushing down the dropoff like a waterfall ... creating a current we know as the "Redondo River" that would sweep north and down (west). Any diver caught in that would be working very hard to make it up the slope to the entry/exit area.

I could speculate what happened next ... it's happened there before ... but that probably wouldn't be very helpful. Given the timing, and the conditions I've experienced when the Redondo River rolls in, I would be hesitant to blame the buddy ... if these were inexperienced divers it was probably all he could do to manage to surface, and would have been hard-put to do so while rendering assistance. A more experienced diver would probably have handled it ... but with some difficulty, as the current's trying to pull you down. A diver experienced with Redondo conditions would've probably known better than to be in that place at that time, given the large ebb. There's a reason I was out of there earlier in the day, and chose another dive site for the afternoon.

Most times a diver at any skill level can handle this site ... we train a lot of new divers there. But the Redondo River is not real predictable, and the middle of a large ebb isn't a good time to be diving there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't comment on this fatality, but I do find the comments about current interesting. We have an incredibly docile site here that has very predictable and relatively mild currents. Dive classes brave them every weekend with hardly any fatalities. Yet, a few months back, I found myself dragging a panicking, self proclaimed public safety diver back to shore. The current, mild enough that I was able to pull the diver, albeit slowly, on the surface, was enough to induce a flailing ball of panic in under 2 minutes and in 10 feet of water.

I could very easily see how certain divers, who over estimate their abilities, could struggle against currents.

Just one of many great reasons to research sites on Scubaboard before you go diving. Better to learn from the mistakes of others than through the school of hard knocks.

Hopefully well learn if the currents really did cause the fatality and as always, I feel terrible for the loss.

The Redondo River is unpredictable, and usually transient. It can be too strong to swim against at times ... I've seen tech divers wrapped like pencil-monkeys around pilings waiting for it to move on ... and in fact, I mentioned it in this post just the other day. When it gets too much I usually just grab ahold of something and wait. Usually after a few minutes it slackens up a bit and you can go on about your business. But a diver who's not familiar with it might not think to do that. And trying to surface when a current is pulling you down can be freaky. It's not hard to imagine them running out of air fighting it ... that's happened there before.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

this site is my "local mudhole" and I know it very well.
Describing Redondo Beach as a "local mudhole" seems a little over the top and might give people the wrong idea. When the tide was changing and we were there the viz did get down to maybe 15 feet until you went "over the edge" and it starts to get a little deeper where the viz seemed pretty good even during tide going out. When we think of a "local mudhole" around here the viz is more like a foot or two. I guess the site may be lots different than I realize but I can't imagine it being too bad.

Edit: This is right next to a Salty's right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom