Puerto Galera tips, answers, advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take note of these but with our short timetable, weather threats, and now, higher flight prices it would be best to wait until another opportunity arises during a better time of year.

BJ expat, how bad are airfare from PEK to Manila? There are some budget airlines from HK (Cebu Pacific - around HKD 700 promo fare) and Macau (Cebu Pacific - MOP842 promo fare) if you can get to HK cheap.

edit: but be aware that luggage allowance is stingy on Cebu Pac...

Kilima Step on a full moon - now that would be a hoot! If the currents are running right, you'll zip by Canyons/ Sharks Cave and be taken almost to Sabang Beach (preferably to the floating bar! :wink:)!

best dive sites:
"Hammerhead", "Broadway", "pink Panther", Sabang Disco.
Big Apple also is good for long deep dives.

look out for triggers.

hi,
Diving in sabang,Puerto galera is all year. 3mm wet suit is fine. viz is not a problem.we cannot predict typhoon,but i could say come down to sabang.right time to come because its low season.
Pls. contact SEA RIDER DIVE CENTER just search it in the web. they are the cheapest and very friendly dive shop along the island.They can settle your transpo from manila airport to Sea rider dive center(vice versa)even the accommodation. they are good in macro critters.Im a photographer and we dive around 90 minutes for php 900 per dive.for non photographer they dive 1 hour(depends how good are you in air)dive.. but because july is low season,they can give you best rate.
Sea rider dive center have a dive site name MACRO HEAVEN its a secret place of theme.no other dive resorts know it! you will see the critters that you never seen before!
Last time we dove Mark(the guide) saw a Nudibranch that never been post in the book of Nudi around the word!

Im sure you will enjoy your trip with sea rider dive center!

Cheers,
Mermaidline

Just spent the last 5 weeks in PG (Sabang to be exact), we were diving just about every day, even when the typhoon came in, one group went out in the morning, it was only a tropical storm with wind and some rain. The average afternoon wind in San Francisco in the summer is most typical of the wind I saw.

Anyway, so it's the rainy season, I have heard that the last 20 years in Asia, unless you are in a monsoon on the coast of Thailand or India, it never rains all day, sure you get a few days here and there, but the weather in PG was basically hot and humid the whole time I was there, with the water temp never below 28 and usually around 29 to 30C.

I will say this trip to PG, I noticed a reduction in the vis. maybe due to a plankton bloom or whatever, but there is still some excellent diving to be had there, and don't let the weather or bangka disasters scare you away, I'm more scared riding a trike around up here in La Union.

Enjoy

:goingdown: Wow, 5 weeks...............long time. tboxcar, I lived and worked in Tahoe for 6 years. Best years of my life. Where did you stay in PG? what dive op did you use? I am thinking of using El Galleon for 2 weeks next April and diving with Asia Divers. Any tips...................:coke:

Back
Top Bottom