Puerto Galera/Sabang opinions needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dove in Cebu and Bohol this past February and received some feedback from divers there that the diving was better in Sabang/Puerto Galera as that area had more fish.

I would appreciate opinions from those of you that have dove in Puerto Galera/Sabang as well as what to expect there in September as respects the weather.

hi there. for pretty much every type of diving PG in general would be a very good option. atlantis located at sabang (pm matt_reed, he's a member here) and el galleon/asia divers (at small la laguna) would be very good dive ops to be with.

september is just about the start of the rainy season and do expect a rough transfer from batangas pier to PG.

btw, if things push through, a whole bunch of local and foreign SB people will be there around the end of september.

let's wait for the other guys to butt in. :wink:

I've dived both. Both Cebu/Bohol and PG/Sabang have the small stuff, and the Canyons in PG provide some big fish action. But my favourite divesite is actually Sabang Bay. Loads of interesting critters (muck/small wreck/ coral bommies). Shallow water and looooooong dive times. :D Sinardigan walls have probably the greatest concentration of nudis I have ever seen. Also look for pygmy seahorses. PG also has many deep sites, though they are meant for more technical dives.

Its hard to decide between the both but I think PG has a slight edge, becos of the above water amenities :wink:

Never been in Anilao but I second Wolverines recommendation. PG has everything from the big fishes to the macro critters. I'm partial to diving the shallows as I get more bottom time that way but the deep stuff like Canyons has some of the bigger fish life I've seen in PI, and they're not shy.

PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG PG!!! ....and then a little VERDE.

boljakool:
<deleted post>

<Inappropriate comment :censored: >

Anyhoo. Yeah, Sabang's pretty good. There's a lot of dive sites that are only 10 minutes or so by boat. Plus there's a wreck out in the bay you can go look at, and they let you feed batfish.

I just did my Open Water at Sabang Inn. Check them out at http://www.sabang-inn.com
They've got really good package deals, and I was quite happy with the service. It's German-Swiss run, so they've got their **** together.

If you can get ahold of a copy, grab the June (Vol 4, #1) edition of Scuba Globe, Asia Pacific magazine. It has an article on PG in there--water diving only tho, none of the other type. :14:

nothing better then PG, i was at the atlantis resort in PG, MAN I HAD THE TIME OF MY HOLE LIFE, find paul (guide at atlantis resort) this was the best diving/fun i have ever had, the diving is awsome!!!!! i was there in march!!!!!

I missed my Cathay Saturday early am flight out of LAX to HK to Manila to Sabang, but have rebooked 2 days later leaving Sunday midnight to HK then to Manila destined for Atlantis Resort in Sabang. I have been booted off 3 standby's today alone. Lovely!

Hopefully making up the 2 day smissed won't be a problem.

I am planning on doing some HiDef videowork there like a mini documentary that will include the area, the Atlantis Resort and of course the macro and big stuff.

Once edited and compressed I will post some HiDef footage links and give a full report here under a new thread title. I'll include some stills too.

namabiru:
<Inappropriate comment :censored: >

Anyhoo. Yeah, Sabang's pretty good. There's a lot of dive sites that are only 10 minutes or so by boat. Plus there's a wreck out in the bay you can go look at, and they let you feed batfish.

I just did my Open Water at Sabang Inn. Check them out at http://www.sabang-inn.com
They've got really good package deals, and I was quite happy with the service. It's German-Swiss run, so they've got their **** together.

If you can get ahold of a copy, grab the June (Vol 4, #1) edition of Scuba Globe, Asia Pacific magazine. It has an article on PG in there--water diving only tho, none of the other type. :14:

08.gif

Thanks for the info.

My last trip to Cebu and Bohol leads me to believe every dive operation in the Philippines is German owned.

<response to inappropriate comment :censored: >

The folks at Sabang Inn are awesome. It is wholly a 100% German operation. If you talk to management (Ralf and or Gunter) they will provide great deals for you. Good food, good location, good equipment, good people, great value.

Back
Top Bottom