Puerto Galera, Anilao, or Dauin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also going to look into hiring a guide myself rather than being at the mercy of the dive shop at Aiyanar if I end up staying there. I hear AnilaoCritters have great guides and are pretty affordable?
Oh yes, I would definitely recommend Anilao Critters owned by Dennis Corpuz, he's been my private guide for two trips now, he can operate from Acacia or Aiyanar.
Check out my Anilao gallery link inserted in my signature if you want to see which rare critters Dennis' s got me! A very very good guy.

btw, you can ask dennis to organize your arrangements, transfer fom Manila as well as booking the accoms, he will inform you right away.

I had a very good stay at Aiyanar last July with my group of around 40. No problems - the dive operation is really a gem. My guide was Bhok and he is very highly regarded also. Tends to often be monopolised by the 'prize-winning' photographers (of which I am definitely not one!). Bhok was terrific though with always a wide smile and great knowledge to pass on. I'd never been anywhere before where dive guides know the latin species names of the critters.

Well, I'm on the books for a week in Anilao at Acacia diving with Dennis, then a week in PG at Out of the Blue diving with Action Divers. So, if anyone is coming into Manilla on the night of Nov 5th (we land at 9:30pm) and wants to share a ride (or share Dennis to make it a little less $), let me know!

Pillpusher

I did all 3 and they all differ from each other in terms of the critters you can find but, all of them are good for muck diving. Although Anilao is the closest if you are flying in Manila, 2.5 hours drive and most resorts include full board meals on their dive package, most could also include unlimited tank.

PG is a little farther compared to Anilao, you will have to take the ferry to get there. Most resorts do not offer unlimited tank and per dive is around P1000 and up. Resorts are cheap because you are charged per dive and breakfast is the only meal included. Sabang is where most of the dive site and are done using a boat.

Dauin is also a cool place to see critters, although I dove once there I was pleased. You have to fly out Manila to reach the place.

I hope this give you a comparison. My take is Anilao because you can reach muck dive sites from the shore.

It also depends if you just want to dive, or also see something of the surroundings. Puerto Galera is also known for it's party people atmosphere. Great if you like it, but if that's not what you're looking for Dauin might be a better option. Smaller,very friendly and very good muck diving (possible from shore or boat). It can be cheap as well depending on your choice of accomodation (just search on tripadvisor). Apo Island, whale shark watching and various waterfalls and nice lakes in the surroundings as well. No matter which choice you make, diving in the Philippines is great!

I've only been to Anilao and Sabang (P.G.). I enjoyed the diving in both locations. There were differences. Anilao was primarily muck diving with some coral reef sites while Sabang was generally the opposite. Currents were stronger in Sabang but that was probably a function of lunar phase more than location.

Would also say. Just meet some divers in Anilao (Buceo Anilao Resort) and they just came back from Puerto Galera.
They were very impressed with the muck / corals in Anilao. But of course, if you want to have a "life" after diving , PG is more lively than Anilao....
There are no night spots in Anilao, its really just for diving :)

dive traveller

So is PG so much farther that you have to overnight in Manilla whereas for Anailo you can get there that night? Will the resort facilitate your travel at all or are you generally on your own? I also found that all of the cheapest flights get in at night. Just wondering how that would work. Sry just re ready original post saying that Dennis would arrange travel. Same for places in PG I wonder though?

No problem. Either way, I would need to do an overnight in Manila. My flight gets into Manila at 9:30pm, which is only a couple of hours from Anilao by land. So, I can transfer directly from the airport to there that night and be in the water the very next morning. Getting from PG to Manila requires a water taxi and a land transfer. Since my flight out is at 9:45am, I would need to be in Manila the night before. All resorts, PG included, seem more than willing to help with setting all that up, though.

Just returned from 7 nights Anilao and 6 nights PG, then 1 O/N Manila before return AM flight. The 2 hr drive from Anilao from NAIA worked just fine after our 9pm arrival - we were able to get all 4 dives the next day. I guess it can take 3 hrs though with traffic. It seems you can get to PG same night too, it may just cost more to take a private boat transfer during the dark. Our transfer over was very rough on the way from Anilao, but less so on the way back - may have had to do with the boat size. On the way back though one of the engines died and we went from fast to slow very quickly, at least we were already 3/4s of the way there. Both accoms were helpful with arrangements, however it can be done more cheaply with public transportation. I don't believe there are any public night ferries though. Long story short, after 18 hrs of travel, I'm not sure that I would want to risk extra hassle getting to PG the same night after a late arrival, but JMHO.

For diving I agree with drbill's assessment, for above water divetraveller has it right as well.

I am sure you will have a great time Pillpusher, I was really happy with both the variety of life and diving on this trip. Not sure I can have all my pennies together for November, but I will definitely be back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom