PST LP 95 Failed first hydro-Rare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Faber US LP tanks and EU HP tanks are different tanks, period. Different metal, different weights, different volumes.

Thanks for the correction guys. Not sure where I picked that info up. I have not yet run the hydro station. Hope to do that this fall.

ChrisA:
You sure it is the SAME tank? Faber makes tanks that look just like LP tanks that are really HP tanks. The only way to know is to read the fill pressure stampped on the tank. I dounbt thse EU tanlks are the same as what we see here.

Anyone is Europe ever seen a tank stamped "3AA2400"? I doubt it.

How are hydro tests done in the EU? Could the same tank pass in Europe and fail in the US?

Yep, It's the same tank. The stamp on the shoulder reads DOt-1 13488-2640 REE 85 TP 3960

This is from Lee (Leaking).

I will repeat the following statistics, that I seem to post on a monthly basis;

Faber makes no tank greater than 7 inches in diameter that can take 4000 psi under any regulation anywhere in the world

U.S.tensile strength for 3AA cylinders (105,000-125,000 psi) is not the same as European tensile strength (135,000-155,000 psi as required by EN 1964 part 1 and ISO 9809 part 1) and I have test data that shows Faber cylinders delivered to us show a tensile strength of 115,000-123,000 psi (as required by DOT)

You can verify my info my registering at www.divefaber.com and reviewing the stats yourself.

Go to PSI's website and view his comments on steel vs. aluminum. More steel cylinders have catastrophically failed than aluminum. Also talk to any hydro facility there are is about a 9:1 ratio of aluminum to steel tanks out there, so on a mathematical interpretation steels are much more likely to have a catastrophic failure.

I see a much greater number of steel tanks overfilled than aluminum...perhaps that has something to do with it?
Most places don't seem to mind overfilling steel (too much), but almost no one I've seen will fill an Al80 past ~3200--and when they do that's it's usually so that they'll cool to ~3000.

I feel good!!

It seems that my postings are doing some good!

Lee
www.seapearls.com

p.s. I am lot Leaking

jpcpat:
Yep, It's the same tank. The stamp on the shoulder reads DOt-1 13488-2640 REE 85 TP 3960

You are looking at a SP (special permit) cylinder. For detailed information visit
http://hazmat.dot.gov/sp_app/special_permits/docs/13000/SP13488.pdf
for the specifics

It is NOT a 3AA cylinder but a Special Permit cylinder which is now being given by DOT to replace Exemption cylinders, i.e. E-9791 from Pressed steel tank and E-14157 from Worthington.

Please read section 8 item i of the Special Permit

Lee
www.seapearls.com

jpcpat:
What are the European stampings showin it can be filled to 3900 psi?

The following is an decoding of the numbers;
DOT 13488 special permit number
2640 fill pressure
REE 85 a numerical value used in hydro testing
TP 3960 Test Pressure, the psi at which the cylinder is hydro'd

You have not provided any information that indicates that this cylinder can be filled to a higher pressure in Europe.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

I believe that jpcat was under the impression that the "TP 3960" meant a fill pressure of 3960 psi allowed in Europe. Obviously that's the hydro test pressure, though.

Regularly filling a tank to within 400 psi of its hydro pressure can't be good for it.

Back to the hydro test itself.

I have seen issues here in the northwest with questionable hydro test operators and they are usually the ones that work at the diveshops that hydro their own tanks.

Most dive shops don't test enough tanks a year to make it cost effective to have their own hydro test equipment. So in reality not many dive shops hydro their own tanks. Tanks are usually sent out to a fire extinguisher company or other for this test.

I have found a local hydrotester that I feel is dependable and the cost of the test is 1/3 of what they charge at a diveshop

If you want to find out who actually tested a tank the hydro stamp is coded with that information. You just have to look them up through the Department of Transportation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom