PST E-8 119 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I went and picked up my 119 today at my LDS and the kid who was filling it came out to help someone else, and forgot my tank. Well, when he figured out he that he forgot my tank, he went back and said "I gotta drain some some air, I overfilled it" I asked how much and he said it was almost at 4300 pounds.

My question is - seeing how the e-8 119's are rated @ 3442 shouldn't my disc have blown out? That's 850 pounds over, way more then 10% overfill.

When your tank is initially hydroed it should be tested to approximately 140% of its rated value, which in your case would be 4818 psi.

I think you're probably OK, but I think it would be prudent to ask for a new tank, if they have another in stock.

You're gonna LOVE that E8-119.

Lil' Irish Temper:
I went and picked up my 119 today at my LDS and the kid who was filling it came out to help someone else, and forgot my tank. Well, when he figured out he that he forgot my tank, he went back and said "I gotta drain some some air, I overfilled it" I asked how much and he said it was almost at 4300 pounds.

My question is - seeing how the e-8 119's are rated @ 3442 shouldn't my disc have blown out? That's 850 pounds over, way more then 10% overfill.

Not positive but I don't think those disks burst until just over 5000 psi.

I don't see why you'd want a new tank.. and AFAIK the burst disks on those valves is 5000 psi.

Ask for a free hydro if you're that concerned about it, but when they hydro it they'll pump it up to even more than 4300 :wink:

jonnythan:
I don't see why you'd want a new tank.. and AFAIK the burst disks on those valves is 5000 psi.

Ask for a free hydro if you're that concerned about it, but when they hydro it they'll pump it up to even more than 4300 :wink:

I must say, your info is excellent, Jonnythan.

Bust discs on a 3442 PST tank are 5250 (must fail within 10% of 5250 psi but not exceed-the hydro on this cylinder is 5250). I would ask for a hydro and ask the facility not to stamp it but provide signed confirmation of passing.

I have talked with hydro facilities that have told me that even minor overpressure (300psi) will cause them to fail hydro. Safety first!

A hydro is 5/3 of the rated pressure, right??? According to the calculator, that equals 5736.6666666666666666666666666667psi for a 3442psi tank.

5/3 equals 1.66 times, right???

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. If you were in cave country, you got a good fill. However, if you need peace of mind, tell the dive shop to replace it. Personally I wouldn't sweat it, it's a steel tank and a hydro will only do the same thing as what was done in the shop, only to an even higher pressure.

Dennis

You are going to find that diving with a single 120 cu ft tank is a burden for virtually all single tank applications. Hauling it onto and off of a boat?? Wearing it as you trudge up and down a beach??

At 100 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 30 to 40 minutes. That is way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

At 50 ft with a 120 cu ft tank the available dive time is 90 to 100 minutes. That is also way past the NDL limits, even past the nitrox NDL limits.

Therefore anytime you dive 50 ft or deeper, you will be wearing a tank much larger and heavier than it needs to be, and you are going to be coming back with much more air/nitrox than you ever dreamed.

These tanks are made for twin tank diving, not as singles.

PST E series tanks are made under a DOT exemption (E-9791). These cylinders are down rated 3500 psi to accomodate a 200 bar DIN connection. Under the exemption the hydro test is 3/2 or 5250 psi. Read the exemption at the DOT web site

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom