PSD: 2nd Annual ScubaBoard 17th Annual OceanWATCH Clean-up Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Public Service Dive! Remember last year in Deerfield when we dove at the Pompano Beach pier.. the first divers to dive that close to the pier in 17 years?! Well, its that time again!!!

WHAT: Ocean Watch Foundation's 17th Annual Reef Sweep & Beach Clean-up

WHEN: Saturday, June 11, 2005 from 9:00am - 12 Noon. Later that evening, participants will celebrate their hard work at the Reef Sweep Party. The party starts at 5:00pm at a location to be announced.

WHERE: Various beaches and piers located between Deerfield Beach and Hollywood. Charter dive boats are available for reef dives that morning.

WHO: ScubaBoard divers from all over the state and non divers to clean up the beach.

In 2004 we participated in this clean up and in partnership with the Ft Lauderdale Kayuba dive club we set a new single site record of 3500 pounds helping set a new overall record for total pounds of trash recovered from the Ocean.

Pleas use the Roll Call function on the Calendar so we know who is planning on showing up!!

Sign Up Here!This year the wrap up party is going to be at Scuba_Jenny's house! More coming soon!!

EDIT: Info added 6/05 PLEASE READ FOR LATEST UPDATES!!!
More info here> http://www.oceanwatch.org/
We will be meeting at Pompano Pier at 8:00 or so.

222 N Pompano Beach Blvd Pompano Beach, FL 33062-5100
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?a...h+BLVD&csz=pompano+beach,+fl&country=us&new=1

The clean up starts at 9:00 A.M., but you want to get there early enough to set up gear and register.
Once you arrive at the pier, drop off your gear. You will be given a parking pass, and park your vehicle in the lot across the street. Somebody from OceanWatch will show you where to park. Register, and also get a pair of scissors to borrow. You probably won't need a knife, as most of what you will be cutting is fishing line, miles of it! Colin will also have scissors for sale at $5. (I have had mine for a year and they are still in good condition)

Be ready at 9:00 for instructions on cleaning. Basically what happens is we enter the water, swim out to the end of the pier and start collecting garbage. We will have surface support who will drop down 5 gal buckets with holes in them. We fill the buckets and the surface support lifts, and dumps them. Working in a team or alone is fine. I have done both.

For those that have never done a reef clean up: Bring gloves. Along with the miles of fishing line there are lots and lots of hooks, some rusty. You will also find hundreds of sinkers, fishing line, knives, fishing poles, cans, bottles, fishing line, batteries, coolers, chairs, fishing line and anything that was thrown or dropped off the pier. (one guy found a gun a couple years ago!).

The dive is shallow, and one tank should be suffice, but bringing an extra tank just in case is not a bad idea. No need to add additional weight to compensate for the shallowness, just pick up some sinkers!

Last year water was supplied after the dive, and I believe that the same is true this year.

After the dive, there is an after clean up party at John U. Lloyd State park, exact location to be announced, party starting at 2:30 P.M. The price of admission to the After dive party is $5.00, and the entrance fee to the park is waived.The beach is still being worked on, and thus closed, so I do not know if we can dive off the beach or not.

The After After Dive Party is at my house. I will hand out directions to those that want to come on Saturday. If you need directions before that, PM me or email me at scuba_jenny AT scubaboard.com

Sunday
Boat dive on the IBIS. http://www.divefortlauderdale.com/
Neal has suggested "The Miss Dania Beach," http://www.wavesf.com/wave-online-issues/W4/W4_38.php, followed by a reef dive.
Anybody wanting to do the boat dive, please sign up directly with Neal at 954-922-8134 Toll Free 877-277-3481.

I'm in! Whoo Hoo! A conch party!
The clean up is a lot of fun, and we picked up monofiliment line, hundreds and hundreds of sinkers, knives, glass, monofiliment line... Some guy a couple years ago found a gun. Great opportunity for divers and non divers. Non divers can walk the beach picking up trash.
I am thinking we will do Pompano Pier again this year?

I need to call Keith and talk to him about where our Conch crew is going to be this year. Last year was so incredible with the amount of divers who showed up and how much of a difference we made on the reef surrounding the Deerfield Beach pier.

I'm working on setting up a home inspection or two over there the week of the clean up so I can get over early and scout the areas with OceanWatch to try and find the places we'll make the most impact again. :D

I'm hoping that I'll be able to make it. Nicole will be having surgery soon, though, so I won't know until that's scheduled.

for all you conch divers : Oceanwatch is paying for $20 of your ticket on the boat and I am paying for $10 of it, so that means boat tickets for 6/11 AM are $18.... 2 tank LETS CLEAN UP... let me know...954-922-8134

I recall last year's clean-up at Pompano Pier.

LOTS of fishing line, so be sure to bring some snips.

Bring some good HEAVY gloves, not your best neoprene gloves,
to protect your fingers from any stray fishing hooks.

I found myself at a teeny ledge near the end of the pier,
perfect for snagging rigs and lures. Found a few lead sinkers and put em in the 5 gal bucket I had with me, then fanned the spot, found some more, fanned again, found more, fanned ... more ... fanned ... more and more and more ...

I had to stop at about 2 inches of weights in my bucket and still had to walk it along the bottom to the hoisting crew. The Reef Sweep organizers place crews along the pier with buckets on ropes for collecting trash from the divers on the site.

Was just wondering, will some SBers be meeting up at any spots in particular. Im only slightly familiar with the area.

Anyways im sure more info will be coming as things get closer, but i thought id ask.

-Dan

Well, we did Pompano Pier last year, and made a big difference. Wouldn't mind doing that again. Colin??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom