Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ththooft

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all-

A friend of mine (and yes, it's really a friend, not me :D), is really looking at the Mares Proton Ice reg. I've seen a few of them in action during ice diving and those divers seemed to like them. At the same time, most of these divers were from the same shop that sells a ton of Mares, so that could've had something to do with it.
I'm curious what anyone that's used one thinks of them, how they have performed, and any other thoughts.

Thanks!

We had one at our shop, the bosses wife ended up buying it "because its pretty" but shes the only one Ive seen with one. Ive heard that Mares is going to get rid of the ice... not much help but...owell

I've posted regarding the Ice before. I have about 6 regs (more if counting stage/pony regs), including an Apeks ATX200 and ATX50. The Proton Ice breathes better and the bubble/exhaust routing is better. Apeks has quite a following here but try a few other regs to see how YOU like them. See if you can borrow/rent some regs that you might consider buying.

I have the proton ice. I use it as a ordinarily use it as a decoreg (aqualung titans for backgas) because its a small and good reg for that application.

This winter I´ve gone icediving with my proton (just to see if it´s as good as the titans underneath a foot of ice). I´ve had no issues with the performance (no freeflows) so my guess it´s as good as most regs and better than some.

Whether you like it or not comes down to preference, IMO, so you either buy it or don´t...

The Proton Ice is a great reg, in fact it is one of our best performers. The Proton Ice is a discontinued model. However, we are building what is now called the V32 Proton Metal, which is very similar. The V32 Proton Metal will be available in most Mares stocking dealers by end of Feb.

Hopes this clears up the air a little.

Dannobee - Glad you like your reg.

Zak

Zak:

What does discontinued mean? Will it be eligible for the limited parts replacement warranty initiated by Mares in Nov/Dec? What about the Proton Ice Extreme? Is it intended to be a replacement model?

I've also heard that Mares has a reputation for pulling/discontinuing parts for discontinued regs. How will that be effected?

Rob

Discontinued means we will no longer sell the V32 1st stage coupled w/ the Ice 2nd stage (blue cover / matte finish on the metal body). The replacement model is the new "V32 Proton Metal". The Proton Ice Extreme is a completely different reg. It is still a V32 1st stage although it comes with a CWD kit (enviornmental seal) preassembled. The second stage is still metal (nickel plated brass) but has one more coating on the outside, inside, and all exposed working parts. This coating is a technoflouropolymer (teflon). This coating prevents ice from adhering to any part of the regulator. Ice crystals slip off. The Ice Extreme has been approved and put on the Navy ANU list. The only single reg that is on the list qualifying for both cold and warm water (no small feat).

As for the parts replacemtent warranty on the ice. Should the purchaser buy the Proton Ice from an authroized retailer, then yes the regulator qualifies for free service parts replacement.

Parts will be available for the Proton Ice indefinitely. The parts are the same in the V32 Proton Metal and other Mares regulators.

I think you may be slightly mislead on the "pulling/ discontinued parts for discontinued regs". We are still providing "service" parts for old, old, old, Mares regulators. Although in the past we were not the best at having them in stock. This has dramatically improved and is only getting better. The new parts replacement policy is a direct extension of our commitment to be one of the best.

Zak

Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, what is your affiliation with Mares? Dealer, rep, CEO"

Zaks the Northeast rep for Mares/Dacor/Sporasub(independant rep), He's a great guy.

His wife Julie is the National Sales and Planning Manager (company employee) for Mares/Dacor/Sporasub

As far as parts it is old Dacor parts that Mares has stopped providing parts for after the Mares parent company bought Dacor.

Zak, glad to hear parts are finally getting good supply, take care,

Chris

Chris thanks for the kind words. Clarification Pacific Northwest not NE.

All the best to you.

Zak

Back
Top Bottom