Proton Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what can I say I'm used to using east....

I hear you've been having some great winter weather.

Thanks for being straight forward. I've noticed a lot of brand bias on this site and prefer to get honest assessments with disclosure.

Thanks again.

You are welcome. Anytime.

Zak

Thanks all for your input! I might have to get one of these for a pony bottle or something just to try it out.

Thanks again!

Zak-I have a Proton Ice on a stage bottle. I seem to have a problem with the black cover on the first stage coming off. It doesn't seem to effect anything. I know a couple of other guys on my team have also experienced this. What is going on with this? Minor nuisance, but what is needed to correct this ?

James,
I'm sorry to hear you and your mates are having trouble with this. Honestly, I've not heard of this before. Not to say it couldn't or doesn't happen. In order to service the v32 1st stage the black cover must be removed. It is a semi soft polymer cover which allows enough "stretch" to get it off. Maybe it's been serviced so many times it has now become loose? Maybe whom ever is servicing you regs is not putting it back together correctly? I don't know because I can't see it. If you like, our service center and trained technician will look at it.

As you stated this cover is not a mechanical piece and in no way will affect performance of your regulator.

I've attached a file that demonstrates how to remove the cover. Perhaps by seeing the illustration, it will help you determine the problem. Do you use a LDS for servicing? Have they looked at the issue? If you want to send it back, it is best to go through a LDS. Let me know.

Zak

Hi Zak,

I see the "proton metal" is now being sold on a number of first stages MR12, V16, V32 and the new V42. Is there any difference in this second stage as most of the first stages only have 4 x 3/8"LP ports and the V32 a 1/2"LP (DFC) and 3 3/8" ports?

I'm bit confused whether there are 2 types of proton metal, or do some have an adaptor piece, or a LP hose with 3/8" to 1/2"?

Tia,

Danny

Thanks Zak,
I suspect it could be a combination of overstretching or by being used by a bunch of cops that could break an anvil. It seems once one comes off it, it will continue to come off. I will check with our repair folks. Not really a big deal. Thanks for the reply.

Hi Zak,

I see the "proton metal" is now being sold on a number of first stages MR12, V16, V32 and the new V42. Is there any difference in this second stage as most of the first stages only have 4 x 3/8"LP ports and the V32 a 1/2"LP (DFC) and 3 3/8" ports?

I'm bit confused whether there are 2 types of proton metal, or do some have an adaptor piece, or a LP hose with 3/8" to 1/2"?

Tia,

Danny

Danny,

You've been doing your homework. The second stage is the same. It is common for some manufacturers to couple the same second stage with different 1 stages. The only difference in this case would be the fitting on the low pressure hose. These regulators do not come with adapters.

As for the variance in LP port sizes; I believe it to be a space issue in relationship to performance and port configuration. Some of these 1st stages are getting pretty small particularly the v42. Hold the V42 in your hand sometime, it is incredible small.

Back
Top Bottom