Pros and cons of "fixed" D rings in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess it depends on how wide the diver's hips are.
It will always add 2" to whatever your waist is.

As for me, my hip D-ring sits well inside the profile of my BP/wing, inflator bottle, doubles, shoulders, arms, etc

Then I would say your hip ring is in the wrong spot. Your BP & wing, backgas and argon bottle should be inside the hip d-ring.

Edit: Wing & Tanks might depend on the tanks, but either way they are not one little piece that juts out to catch something.

It will be on the inside of your shoulders and arms, but they are usually ahead of you.

So going straight ahead, the shoulders provide enough space, but turning could potentially cause a problem. (minor one...but its there.)

Ah, especially with a busy left D-ring with 4 items clipped; 2 deco bottles, at least one bottle on a leash and then your spg, all clipped on the left D-ring. I initially found rotating bottles a major bitch keeping everything straight, but after awhile it all calmed down.

I love cyber-diving when I'm not diving! :D

Anyway tomorrow we take our longer range scooters and go to a place called Montana about 2500' out, 150' deep and hopefully the waters will be clear and I'll get some good video! :cool2:

This has all been great. In the time this post took to germinate I have put in about 20 dives with the hog rig. My thoughts so far are this: Yes, reps make it MUCH easier to hit the hip D even with heavy dry gloves. Is it worth it for the extra "cool" factor? Probably not. Fixed is most likely the better solution even if I look like a dork. I will stay with the standard D for now to develop my fine motor skills for reps but I think I will simply be "un-cool" when the rubber hits the road. If I am in an environment where the fixed ring is an issue (i.e. keyhole caves or other OHE) I will reconsider. My personal belief is that task loading will kill me before the fixed ring will kill me in the end. I am frankly unconcerned with looking good, or right, or proper or what-the-hell-ever. I just want to enjoy safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom