Pros and cons of "fixed" D rings in cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stmichael

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been taking instruction in the DIR philosophy of diving. I don't want this thread to dissolve into a pro/anti DIR discussion, but I would be interested in logical discussion on the pros and cons of fixed D rings on hog rigs. DIR seems to seriously frown on them, but in extremely cold water environments, they make things WAY easier to attach/unclip from your shoulder and waist. I understand that a fixed D might make your fixed profile in water an inch or two larger (which could be of some concern in confined environments), but focusing on clipping/unclipping items from non-fixed D rings in low vis with heavy gloves or mitts diminishes your situational awareness and bandwidth. What do you think?

Last edited:
You really don't need them on your shoulders. With enough practice, you can hook them really easily. I have a small fixed d-ring on my left hip. Call me a stroke all you want, but after an hour with thick dry gloves in really cold water, it makes shuffling bottles around a LOT easier. Especially when you have 2 or more bottles to deal with. It runs parallel to the body, so the profile is tiny, the bottle stick out much further than it does, so I see no entanglement or any other kind of hazard there. Less fumbling and quicker gas switches makes it more than worth it for me.

No you do not need them. If you feel you need them you only need more training... Yes I use drygloves on all dives, and do not see the need for fixed drings.

I see and respect your point, Sptz. In fact, that is exactly what my instructor says. I am sure that addiitional training will help, but my argument is really that although they might not be a necessary, if they are easier, why not use them? Is there any REAL drawback (especially to the hip ring) other than that it is not in the DIR bible that "thou shalt not use"? I humbly suggest that their use by those other than the most coordinated and highly trained would free up more focus and bandwith for the other necessities of the dive.

It has nothing to do with training. First of all, there are all types of d-rings and webbing. On one of my harnesses, the webbing is stiff enough w/ enough friction against the rings that I've never used a fixed ring. On another one, the webbing is soft and the rings are flat, so I use a fixed ring on the hip. Hell, even the Halcyon rings are bent, which is essentially doing the same thing. I can clip any clip to any ring, but on that rig with long profiles in cold water, the fixed ring makes gas switches cleaner, and with all the bottles and the profile of the ring it would be virtally impossible to snag. So other than DIR snobbery, there is no reason not to use one. Your rig, your choice.

Cool. Thanks for the input.

pardon my ignorance, but what is a fixed d-ring?

pardon my ignorance, but what is a fixed d-ring?

Rather than a d-ring with a tri-glide, its a solid one piece d-ring/triglide combo. Because it's all welded together the D doesnt lay flat.

90degree.jpg

Ah. I think I'd call that a t-ring :p

My only complaint would be that it doesn't lie flat. As Ryan said, neither does a bent d-ring, but that's one a whole different level.

Not a deal breaker, but I'm not sure I see the point.

Making a gear change to compensate for a skill/training/practice deficit isn't DIR. Try holding the gate on the bolt snap open and hook the d-ring in an upward motion. That helped me a lot trying to clip off one-handed, without looking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom