Replace regular D ring with fixed D ring on BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if it's been mentioned but go for a bent d ring! Ha

Not sure if it's been mentioned but go for a bent d ring! Ha

yeah got that, I do use bent Ds for my shoulders just not sure I understand why welding them in a fixed position is frowned upon. I do also use my back up lights to keep them in position but just missing something about why the weld is a problem.

yeah got that, I do use bent Ds for my shoulders just not sure I understand why welding them in a fixed position is frowned upon. I do also use my back up lights to keep them in position but just missing something about why the weld is a problem.
No idea.. bent work fine for me, but I wouldn't be opposed to welded.

So we're back to, "it's just not needed?"
Oh I really don't know.. I'd give them a shot, but I'm not sure how they could be any better. I would assume welded is more $$ than bent.. and I'm cheap:)

Be a thinking diver….. all these people parroting the same advice without a compelling reason to explain WHY? I use welded 90 ones on a weight belt to clip off easier and I may have put one on a shoulder, as best I can tell, there are no issues.

Be a thinking diver….. all these people parroting the same advice without a compelling reason to explain WHY? I use welded 90 ones on a weight belt to clip off easier and I may have put one on a shoulder, as best I can tell, there are no issues.
I too have used the fixed type the 90° is nice on the left hip for clipping the bottom of a pony, I also have some that are around 45° that I use one the shoulder or where ever.

I find fixed Ds to get in the way more than they help. Sudo fixed with an inner tube keeps them in place so I can find them, yet lets me push them out of the way when needed.

So we're back to, "it's just not needed?"
No Scuba police are going to issue a citation. Use what feels good for you. I tend to use my DSS butt plate more than the D-ring on my waist, and I like their version of a slightly raised D for my chest, but they aren't available anymore. It's not that they don't move as much as they are quite thin, making it easier for me to clip/unclip. Arthritis is a pain in the hand!

Long ago I realized that what works for me, might not work for others and vice versa. Divers can be quite passionate about their choices, but what doesn't work for me, simply doesn't work for me. Case in point, I run my SPG (if I'm using one) over my left shoulder and clip it to the left chest D-ring. It's always out of the way and incredibly easy to glance down and see how much gas is left. This is when I'm using both hands and even though I'm busy, I can still make sure I have enough gas to be safe. Few seem to like that, and I've had instructors re-route it for me and get a bit upset when I put it back to my way. "Don't you know?" Yeah, I know better than to Eff with someone else's rig.

Be a thinking diver….. all these people parroting the same advice without a compelling reason to explain WHY?

I’m not shy about doing whatever I want , trust me. I’m literally just trying to figure out why it’s frowned upon.

Any DIR divers want to chime in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom