Properly Refinishing Steel Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From my experience painting Scuba tanks, cold galvanizing paints (like ZKY mentions zinc rich paints) is the only surface protection that prevents rust from migrating under the paint. They are also available to brush on or in spray cans. Maybe not as good as the commercial version that ZKY mentions, but still do the job. The zinc created a tight (and sacrificial) chemical bond with steel.

All paints will eventually get scratched on a Scuba tank, but the zinc galvanizing paint will prevent the rust from migrating under the finish.

IMHO, I would not put an over coat over the galvanizing paint because you want to touch up the scratches probably once a year.

I think one of the prefered brand names is ZRC.

Do treat the steel as described by ZKY.

Thanks guys, for the very informative and through information. I want to do everything that can be done to stop the oxidation as you described. The next step is to prevent it from starting again. This process will do both…

Thanks again,
Mark

As always, it seems, I got to agree with Luis.

Nothing you can spray on without making a major project of it is going to equal the appearance and durability of a factory finish (and even the factory finish, in this case, was none too good!). So pick a "good enough" product that is easy to find, and easy to touch up, and touch it up every year of so. The ZRC "cold galvanizing" paints often mentioned here will protect the tanks as well as anything will, give the extra protection that zinc affords, and are easy to touch up.

ZRC Galvalite, don't waste time and effort with other coatings. Sand blast and "Roll" on 3 coats of Galvalite. As close to hot dip galvanizing as you can get.

Of course, there is an excellent, HUGE post on painting, stripping and refinishing steel cylinders here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...rnal-rust-stripping-painting-steel-tanks.html

That could have been found via the use of the search function.

Roak

Roak, am I bad? The thread that you have listed is very interesting and informative as well. However, nowhere does it address my specific question concerning the use of the marine product POR-15 for refinishing steel cylinders.

The thread you refer to has not had any activity in over two years. I am looking for information on more current technology. As you know two years is a long time when it comes to technology, in any industry. This would include finishes for use in marine applications.

Mark

In two years there has not been a lot of "new" progress in coatings. There is a lot of stuff in the labs that is "near" market, but it has been there fore quite some time. Most of the industrial and aerospace work has been elimination of chromates and reduction of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).

Any coating is either a barrier coating that protects by keeping the water off the steel or an anti-corrosive coating that uses galvanic properties to protect the steel.

For most aerospace we use an epoxy anti-corrosive primer with a good quality barrier polyurethane top coating.

If I was to do the most perfect coating available at this time I would:

Hot dip galvanize
Epoxy prime with a chromated primer meeting MIL-PRF-23377 or MIL-PRF-85582
Polyurethane top coat with a paint meeting MIL-PRF-85285.

For you, there are a number of good systems given so far. First you need to remove all the loose paint and remove or kill all the active rust spots.

If you have a lot of blistered paint, blast it off with a medium abrasive such a walnut shell or Type III or Type V plastic media. The blasting house should know what these are. Sand is much too abrasive and will pit the surface and remove any remaining anti-corrosive coatings.

Or, use a paint stripper such as zip-strip or aircraft stripper that contains methylene chloride. Do it out side and wearer nitrial gloves. Do not use any alkaline strippers on any tanks, especially aluminum ones.

Wash the surface with soap and water and use an abrasive pad such as red scotchbright to remove any remaining contamination from the surface.

Then use a good quality zinc rich primer that will give some galvanic anti-corrosive properties.

If your zinc rich coating is an epoxy, you must remember that epoxy's do not like direct sun. The UV rays will attack the resin binder and you may end up with chalking of the coating. Now if you keep your tanks out of the sun most of the time in a garage or under a tarp, this should not be a major problem. But if they live on a boat and see sun a lot, you will need to protect the epoxy.

So, put on a good polyurethane top coat. This is also good if you want a specific color other then primer.

The Mil-Specs primer and paint listed above can be had from most aircraft refinisher, but they are mutli-component coatings and are expensive. Expect to pay at least 60-100 per quart. If you are in an area where there is a lot of aerospace work, look for industrial paint shops and see if they will do your tanks for you when they do a large batch for someone else. But you might end up with a Navy gray or Army green unless you want to pay for a specific color

Someone needs to get a hold of the folks at P.S.I. As I stated earlier, if memory serves (and granted, times change and memory fails) epoxy coating on a steel tank, internal or external, means failure for the visual inspection.

Thanks, Merry Christmas...

Someone needs to get a hold of the folks at P.S.I. As I stated earlier, if memory serves (and granted, times change and memory fails) epoxy coating on a steel tank, internal or external, means failure for the visual inspection.

Thalassamania, thanks for the solid advice. PSI does not recommend the use of epoxy because epoxy is a porous coating.

The website for POR-15 states the following. POR-15® chemically bonds to steel to form a rock-hard, nonporous coating that won't crack, chip, or peel. It works by isolating metal from moisture; without moisture present, steel can't rust. I will continue to research this product and post my findings. I would much rather be safe than sorry...

Thanks again,
Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom