Proper pronunciation of the word "roof"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how about the glorious pronunciation: "wrastling" that we get from the mid west?

"youz" is another classic here in Western New York....

and folks around here cant say "pictures" - they say "pitchers"

Back when I was working for an engineering consulting firm out of Atlanta, one of the senior engineers was from rural Georgia. When he talked, folks would have a tendency to look under the desk to see if he still had the cow manure on his boots. But he was very well educated, very astute and well thought of in the industry. However, I do remember on day when we were going to see some new clients that were based in New York City, he said to me as we left the office, "All right, let's us go and skin some Yankees."

And we did, because they figured he was stupid. And I speak with a Southern accent also, but not as pronounced as his.

It's what you say, not how you say it.

My lovely bride is from Boston. One day I'm backing the truck out of a parking space and she starts saying " Caa, Caa, Caa" I look at her and say "Why are you crowing" She says " I wasn't crowing I was telling you there was a Honder behind you." She has sooooo many fun words Cuba = Cuber, Honda = Honder "A's " turn to "R's" and vice versa, she told me if it's good enough for the Kennedy's it's good enough for her.

"All right, let's us go and skin some Yankees."

Correction that would be DamnYankees, one word.

Wurds frum aroun mi hood da dreyev me crazie.
Crick instead of creek
Fark instead of fork
Fur instead of for
Goun instead of going

Dat iz all fur now.

An aunt (Short a) is a relative. An aunt (Long a) is an insect you step on.
A roof (Long o" is something that covers your house. A roof (short o) is what a dog says.

A roof (Long o" is something that covers your house.

Rofe? :wink:

Blue Sparkle

PS: I can't believe I just noticed this thread today for the first time! Aren't regional variations fun? I was amazed when I found out that in England, people can recognize local accents as being different just a few miles away, since in the US it seems the distances are much greater for that.

PPS: My dive buddy is Scottish. Can you say "boook" and "foooot?" Yes, they rhyme with "loot" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom