Proper pronunciation of the word "roof"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I would of thought everyone knows it's "would have" - that one annoys me no end

No, I mean in stead of "wood of".

There's nothing wrong with contractions like 'would've' (pronounced wood uv)

Saying 'would of' on the other hand is just poor English

Maybe I'm just missing your irony?

Maybe you did miss the irony. My gripe is with people writing the proper contracted form "would've" as "would of" - so I wrote it that way to prove my point (perhaps not very clearly, I admit).

That one changes depending on if you've been drinking or not... :) Some people just sound drunk all the time, I guess.

R..

That one changes depending on if you've been drinking or not... :) Some people just sound drunk all the time, I guess.

R..

There must have been a lot of drinking going in Portland when I was working there, then... I think I spent a year and a half trying to convince people to pronounce ALL of the letters. Come to think of it, full-time drinking probably would have improved my outlook on that particular job...:D

I'm originally from Illinois and always pronounced roof as I do look, book, took until I moved to Alabama. That's the only word I have ever pronounced that causes a reaction from the locals. My reasoning is this, its because it is written exactly like look, book and took!!! Why wouldn't you pronounce it the same? Now I have polled the Websters and CNN is good enough for me!!

Maybe I need to luke in a different buke for alternate pronunciations LOL

Back
Top Bottom