Proper pronunciation of the word "roof"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as my roof, no matter how you pronounce it, does not leak, I'm happy! That said, wash or wrash....

The one that bugs me is orange. The word is not "oh"-range. The "o" changes sound before an "r".

And people DO pay as much (and sometimes more) attention to how you sound, as to what you say. I did my residency with a very nice British man who we all loathed. We hated him because he had a very upper-crust British accent, and when he got up to give presentations, he got prizes. It remains my conviction to this day that his presentations weren't all that fabulous, but who could know? They SOUNDED wonderful!

I say pick one... 'rüf, 'ruf, rōōf and rŏŏf all come from dictionary.com. My, what a diverse world we live in... speaking of which, it's "organizational" over here, not organisational.

Where I grew up, we had a lot of creeks, and I learned to pronounce it like "creak," however I have heard "krik" too. I agree with orange... but being a Florida native, I never had a problem with that one... I also grew up pronouncing it "warsh" but no longer do that... it sounds funny.

Ken

If there is one thing about Americans I'll never understand it's the word "roof".

The word roof is pronounced like "ooze" "shoe" or "sue" in 5/6 of the English speaking world.

The Americans, for some strange reason made it sound like "book" "look"

I think pronouncing Roof like Book makes you sound like a "gUf".

CNN must agree because their reporters have been to proper pronunciation school and say it the way the rest of the world does.

Don't sound like hill-billy. Get sophisticated and try it with me...

one

two

three

rOOOOOOF

See? Easy enough, isn't it?

R..

Diver0001, you are too funny!:rofl3:

The English speaking world has many dialects.

Upscale London, eastend London, Midland England, Scottish, Irish, Canadian, New England, Bostonian, NYC, Mid-Atlantic USA, Southern USA, Chicago, Los Angeles, Australian, and New Zealand, at the very least, if not more. PBS even prepared a documentary with Robert McNeil on this subject. And in adddition, each foreign (non-English speaking) nationality pronounces their own version of English uniquely as well, such as the Dutch, who tend to create a slighly different variation than how the Germans pronounce English words, and etc.

They all talk different. It all serves to betray where everyone is originally from.

You're stirring your coffee this morning and you are contemplating this, for the first time?

I say pick one... 'rüf, 'ruf, rōōf and rŏŏf all come from dictionary.com. My, what a diverse world we live in... speaking of which, it's "organizational" over here, not organisational.

Where I grew up, we had a lot of creeks, and I learned to pronounce it like "creak," however I have heard "krik" too. I agree with orange... but being a Florida native, I never had a problem with that one... I also grew up pronouncing it "warsh" but no longer do that... it sounds funny.

Ken

Dictionaries are much more appropriate for spelling than for pronunciation. 500 million English speakers in the world all speak slightly differently. The beauty of it all is in the variety.

You are so dead... :laser:

You know, people, you can say what you want about the Dutch (and believe me I complain about them as much as anyone) but there is one thing about Holland that is simply without compare anywhere else I've ever been.

The number of beautiful women here is astounding.

I don't even know how young Dutch guys manage to find a date. I mean, man, you'd just feel like a moth in a candle factory....wouldn't you?

R..

The number of beautiful women here is astounding.

I don't even know how young Dutch guys manage to find a date. I mean, man, you'd just feel like a moth in a candle factory....wouldn't you?
It's very simple... They ask us.

It's very simple... They ask us.

Oh yeah. I forgot. That's how I ended up over here in the first place.....

See if I had KNOWN that it's just something that all Dutch women do then

a) I would have responded with less amazement and confusion when my wife came on to me the first time.
and
b) I would have moved over here when I was 18 and single! :D

R..

Back
Top Bottom