Proof of taking a Discover Scuba class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSD classes are limited in scope and usability. I don't know that anyone allows a DSD to dive on their own without an instructor. Take the class in the US and get certified before the trip.

Doing OW dives after a DSD experience is only acceptable if the dives are with the same operator/instructor that did the DSD, and are within a few days of doing the DSD.
The PADI Training Bulletin, 2Q2013, says:
Q: Can Discover Scuba Diving participants make subsequent dives at another location/different resort?
A: They can, but only after repeating all components of the Discover Scuba Diving experience, including all paperwork. Each time a noncertified person wants to try diving via the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program, you must conduct a new Discover Scuba Diving program. The only exception is when participants make subsequent dives with the same instructor or dive operation within a few days of the initial experience.

Your question was about can she take the DSD at home and then do any OW dives in Coz.
The answer is No, without qualification.
That is not to say some Coz operator might be happy to do it.
You say you do not want my opinion on that.

Your current thought to do the classroom/pool at home and checkout dives in Coz is excellent.
But you do not want my opinion.

Yep. This is what I came to post. My first experience diving was on a trip to the BVIs. I did the discover scuba with my instructor and was told I was then good to dive with them over the rest of the week, as long as they were with me on each dive. Once I left the boat at the end of the week, I had to take the full class and get certified to dive anywhere else.

"Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed. This forum is not open for threads offering goods or services."

We looked at having my wife do the book work and confined water dives for her OW at home, then doing the certification dives in some place tropical. The problem with this route is the expense. You will pay a slightly reduced price at your LDS, but you will have to pay almost the same amount to do her certification dives at a resort. This may not be the case at every resort, but it will cost you more to do it that way. We went ahead and had her do the entire OW certification here so we could just dive once we get to Roatan.

Depending on where you are located you may not get a discount on the class if you take a referral. My class prices are the same if you do the OW dives with me or with someone else.

While having your OW does not mean you are an experienced diver it should, but often doesn't these days, mean that you did more than have your hand held for a couple hours after the most basic instructions on how not to die under water.

I think that varies a lot, on both sides. A shop in New Orleans charges a significant fee to give you the paperwork to go finish your checkout dives elsewhere... People often just don't know they're being fleeced, they just pay for what the nice dive shop instructor tells them is normal (Put Another Dollar In - titanium knife and regulator anyone?)

I think some people are confused about the concern about a dive oeprator in Cozumel allowing someone to dive after a DSD only, and they are further wondering why the cost is so high. I am pretty sure I can accurately describe what is going to happen.

1. What Tursiops said in Post #8 is absolutely correct, and that is what the rule is going to be. They will go through a class with that operator and dive with that instructor.

2. After completing the classroom and confined water dive of the DSD class, the diver can then do an OW dive with the instructor. That can be done from a boat. I myself did a DSD dive in Cozumel before being certified, and I had relatives do the same thing later. In both cases we got the preliminaries out of the way and then got on a boat with our instructor and other divers going to a nearby dive site.

3. The boat will drop off the instructor and Discover Scuba divers at a site with appropriate depth. It is possible that the rest of the divers will be a the same site, but they might be in a nearby site a tad deeper. For example, the DSD divers might be on top of the reef, and the rest of the divers are down on the wall.

4. Without knowing the operator, I assume that the $130 price includes the isntruction and the boat dive. If so, that's not a bad price.

She needs to do the practice skills with the instructor that is taking her diving. The cost is reflective of the fact that she needs to have an instructor watch her at all times. There is no way to "transfer" the skills portion of a DSD like you can with open water class.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

what he said...

Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

OK, I think I have figured out the game. If you want to post a question and then be able to object if someone answers it in a way you don't like, all you need to do is post in this Basic Scuba Discussions forum. Cool. Clearly I was off base in trying to answer the OP's question about why his original query was not very good.

Back
Top Bottom