Proof of taking a Discover Scuba class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My girlfriend and I have a trip to Cozumel coming up in a few weeks and I want to get a couple of dives in. I am AOW certified (which reminds me I need to update this profile) but she has no dive experience at all. The dive op down there has specified that she needs to take a discover scuba class prior to going out for a dive (which makes total sense). My question is, can she take the class here at home? I know this is more of a question for the operator but the language barrier is proving quite difficult to get an answer. They are charging $130 in Coz and I find that to be quite expensive and it would be much more convenient to do it here. Any thoughts?

If you take a PADI discovery dive they give you a little booklet with the dive info in it. Having just finished OW certification myself I would be concerned if the dive op down there is letting her go out on a "dive" with only a Discovery dive under her belt. Anything short of another Discovery dive should be requiring a C card.

Yes , yes I'm not new around here. You all are more skeptical than IT folks. There are PLENTY of dive ops worldwide that will let people dive after taking a discover course of "resort course". As a diver myself I do not take safety lightly and am very aware that this should be taken seriously and not rushed. That being said, I am asking a very straighforward question here, not IF this is a good plan in your opinion.

Your girlfriend would still have to take a Discover Scuba class in Cozumel even if she takes one in KY. There is no certification for discover scuba classes, if she wants to dive I would suggest she gets Open water certified at home first,would be cheaper in USA. She could also complete pool and classroom sessions in USA and get a referral where open water dives would be done in Cozumel,

Doing OW dives after a DSD experience is only acceptable if the dives are with the same operator/instructor that did the DSD, and are within a few days of doing the DSD.
The PADI Training Bulletin, 2Q2013, says:
Q: Can Discover Scuba Diving participants make subsequent dives at another location/different resort?
A: They can, but only after repeating all components of the Discover Scuba Diving experience, including all paperwork. Each time a noncertified person wants to try diving via the PADI Discover Scuba Diving program, you must conduct a new Discover Scuba Diving program. The only exception is when participants make subsequent dives with the same instructor or dive operation within a few days of the initial experience.

Your question was about can she take the DSD at home and then do any OW dives in Coz.
The answer is No, without qualification.
That is not to say some Coz operator might be happy to do it.
You say you do not want my opinion on that.

Your current thought to do the classroom/pool at home and checkout dives in Coz is excellent.
But you do not want my opinion.

What many Cozumel dive ops are charging that $130 for is her first dive with them: Put this in your mouth and suck, please excuse my foot on your butt as I am pushing you in.

A great deal of flexibility built into the local process down yonder. The money will not appear in the shoebox with that of their "XYZ Agency" Classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom