Project 'Frankenstein' - My DIY Sidemount Trial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD,

Would you be willing to take some more detailed pictures of how you have the top Quick dump and the bottom inflator setup and routed?

Thanks

-- Travis

Instructor questions:
I still have not seen the PADI Sidemount Outline:

Will this kind of setup be allowed for use according to the PADI Outline? Do they require dual bladders in the PADI Tech Side mount? Are you just going to teach the Tech Sidemount outside of PADI?

General Setup question
How long do your zip ties on the Bungies last? (I have tried some things,but they are not as durable as the premade ones from Dive Rite.)

DO you just use the bungies to gather the tanks or do you actually clip the tanks to the bungies? I am not as convinced as DIve Rite seems to be clipping the tank to the bungie is the way to go but it does make multiple tanks easier to deal with.)

DO you not have problems without a chest clip?

I think you are going to find the Oxy soft plate is going to be to small both length and width wise for what you are trying to do. We have built several sidemount rigs out of the Zeagle soft plate that is part of the tech rig using the UTD wings. The Oxy plate ends up several inches above your belt line with the straps running a slight upward angle where the Zeagle plate fits about the same as steel plate. Here are a side by side of both soft plates....
SOFTPLATE.jpg

You may find that works for you but we couldn't get a good fit.

I still have not seen the PADI Sidemount Outline:

Neither have I. It's becoming a bad joke...

Will this kind of setup be allowed for use according to the PADI Outline? Do they require dual bladders in the PADI Tech Side mount? Are you just going to teach the Tech Sidemount outside of PADI?

I have no idea... I don't see why not..at least for the Rec Sidemount. I suspect that PADI might implement the same rules for Tec Sidemount that they do for Tec backmount. I disagree with those also... choice of redundant bladder is a personal one, based on diving circumstances. Students should be educated how to make that choice, not have it fed to them as an mandatory requirement.

Are you just going to teach the Tech Sidemount outside of PADI?

Quite possibly. I am slow-tracking towards an ANDI cross-over at tec level at the moment. I also do a lot of stuff as non-certification workshops... I'd consider running sidemount as a clinic, rather than a qualification course (like a doubles familiarization). I don't see that many students at tech level would be looking to rent rigs afterwards... so having a 'card' isn't that critical for them.

I do want to offer the TecRec courses with a sidemount option though... so that's the only reason I'm looking into getting the PADI sidemount instructor qualification. Having moved the goalposts several times already... I am now confused by exactly what instructor rating I need to run Tec40-50 in sidemount. Can I do a Rec Sidemount prior to the Tec40 and then teach Tec40 in SM? Or do they have to do the TecSM first?!?

General Setup question
How long do your zip ties on the Bungies last? (I have tried some things,but they are not as durable as the premade ones from Dive Rite.)

I'm expecting to replace them relatively frequently - they tend to slip over time also. I've been looking around to get some adequately sized heat shrink tube, which would solve that problem to an extent.... but seems to be one of the many things you can't get in the Philippines?!?

DO you just use the bungies to gather the tanks or do you actually clip the tanks to the bungies? I am not as convinced as DIve Rite seems to be clipping the tank to the bungie is the way to go but it does make multiple tanks easier to deal with.)

I just scope the tank neck into the bungee. Stage cylinders get clipped on conventionally, using standard stage rigging.

DO you not have problems without a chest clip?

Zero problems, in any configuration. It's as comfortable and care-free as diving backmount in a hog harness.

Ive always wanted to try the sidemount. When i get back to the Philippines might have to look you up for some training. BTW im coming from Europe in 2 weeks maybe I can get that backplate you want and drop it off? Or the heatshrink. Will be in Manila on the 18th through the 20th then off to popototan island. Let me know.

DevonDiver:
I'm expecting to replace them relatively frequently - they tend to slip over time also. I've been looking around to get some adequately sized heat shrink tube, which would solve that problem to an extent....
If you are going to be in a situation where you will want to make multiple sets of bungess, especially if you have a need to make bungees for students or other divers, it may be worth investing in a bungee crimping tool (Bungee Cord, Hooks, Clamps, Splicers, Pliers, reefscuba.com). It costs about $20 USD, and the bungee clamps themselves sell for about $0.10 USD. But, the investment is well worth it if you have regular need for custom length bungess. I have made several sets of bungees to accomodate different exposure suits, plus, I make them for SM students, and have found the tool to be useful.

If you are going to be in a situation where you will want to make multiple sets of bungess, especially if you have a need to make bungees for students or other divers, it may be worth investing in a bungee crimping tool (Bungee Cord, Hooks, Clamps, Splicers, Pliers, reefscuba.com). It costs about $20 USD, and the bungee clamps themselves sell for about $0.10 USD. But, the investment is well worth it if you have regular need for custom length bungess. I have made several sets of bungees to accomodate different exposure suits, plus, I make them for SM students, and have found the tool to be useful.

Yeah...it's the perfect solution. Chance of finding one here in the Philippines is probably zero. I had to buy specially imported bungee... couldn't even get THAT here...

Classic Hog Harness approach... no loss of familiarization or muscle memory. The change of LPI location still left the inflator where my hand would naturally expect to find it. LPI extends sufficiently for easy oral inflation, otherwise is clipped to the right chest d-ring. LPI hose routes nicely and cleanly to it.
120725d1333794295-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-front.jpg

Very clean profile across the back, with significant protection to high abrasion areas of the wing (via OMS Profile adapter). The wing doesn't taco... and doesn't protrude significantly beyond my body size, allowing ease of passage through restrictions.
120726d1333794303-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-rear.jpg

Fully inflated - it's a low profile for a hybrid design sidemount.
120727d1333794308-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-side-l.jpg

Ignore the twisted waist strap! LOL Bungees aren't properly secured... was adjusting them at the time of the photo.
120728d1333794312-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-side-r.jpg

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 580
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 559
  • Side-L.jpg
    Side-L.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 565
  • Side-R.jpg
    Side-R.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Added some plastic tubing to protect/ease action of the upper dump toggle. Also added a short length of 2" webbing to create the attachment means for the OMS Profile adapter to the wing. It runs between the two plastic tabs in the middle. The adapter comes with two short webbing loops - but these are set on the corners and only work on the Tessaract wing... a big oversight IMHO, which means divers have to improvise to make the adapter fit any other wing. They'd sell more units if they designed it to be universal from the outset.
120730d1333798763-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-1.jpg

Close-up showing the extra 2" webbing I added to create a custom attachment at the top of the Profile adapter. This will be fitted, and tightened, through the upper cam band slot of the wing.
120732d1333798770-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-3.jpg

The Profile adapter also has webbing loops at the bottom. Again these are specific for the Tesseract, but I managed to fit them through the lower cam band slots of the wing. It created a sturdy attachment between the lower wing and adapter.
120731d1333798766-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-2.jpg

Detail showing how I used the additional 2" webbing attachment to improvise a fastening of the Profile adapter to the top of the wing. The top flap of the adapter is designed to provide extra abrasion resistance to the top of the wing - it works great. The drawback is that it obscured the LPI of any wing that doesn't off-set the valve sufficiently to the side/shoulder. That's why I moved the LPI to the lower hip valve... and put the pull-dump on top. With the lengthened pull-cord (protected in plastic tube) it works just fine to quick-dump the wing. I can also dump out of the LPI, but it requires turning into a left-side up trim to get the air out. The knack of it comes easily with a bit of practice.
120733d1333798775-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-4.jpg

I fitted a bolt through the back of the Profile adapter and wing. Everything is held nice and secure.
120734d1333798778-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-5.jpg

Inserting the backplate onto the wing. It takes a bit of finger dexterity and strength to get everything flush... mostly because the backplate has to push down over the top of the adapter flap. This holds it all down nicely, but can take a few seconds of cursing to get it all aligned and fit the nut.
120735d1333798786-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-6.jpg

Backplate attached. You can see how the backplate now traps and secures the upper flap of the OMS Profile adapter.
120736d1333798793-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-7.jpg

Trim weights (2x 1lb) added to the top of the shoulder straps. Pull dump in place. LPI routed from the rear of the wing. I added a bolt snap to the LPI for attachment to the chest d-ring. I think it looks pretty clean!
120737d1333798805-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-8.jpg

View of the LPI corrugated hose routing up from the lower hip dump position. It runs cleanly up under the arm to clip off on the left chest d-rings. It's an old Halcyon hose/LPI that I had lying around. There is sufficient flex for it to be easily inflated orally.
120738d1333798810-project-frankenstein-my-diy-sidemount-trial-construction-9.jpg

Attachments

• Construction-1.jpg
    Construction-1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 509
  • Construction-2.jpg
    Construction-2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Construction-3.jpg
    Construction-3.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 501
  • Construction-4.jpg
    Construction-4.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 491
  • Construction-5.jpg
    Construction-5.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 495
  • Construction-6.jpg
    Construction-6.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 499
  • Construction-7.jpg
    Construction-7.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Construction-8.jpg
    Construction-8.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Construction-9.jpg
    Construction-9.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:

Since I assume you have actually used that one, do the crimps end up clean enough that you do not have to worry about the metal doing stuff exposure suit or people?

Back
Top Bottom