Project 'Frankenstein' - My DIY Sidemount Trial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, how are you running/wrapping your bike inner tubes? Do you have any pictures that you would mind posting? It sounds interesting. I just switched from ring bungees, which I really like the ease of use, to a loop bungee setup. I usually keep them clipped in to the dring on my chest and let the loop bungees pull them up in to the armpits. I am always down to try something else and see how I like it though.

James, my own ancient Frankenstein OC sidemount rig is in Marianna right now. I'll be down there next week, though. I can take a photo of the CCR sidemount harness in my garage, which uses the same idea.

We tried the Oxy softplate and it was just two small, we made a couple with the tech plate from Zeagle and worked a lot better.
View attachment 124121

I've not managed to source a Zeagle plate here in the Phils, but will keep an eye out for it. The Oxy is a little short, but it hasn't caused me any traumas, especially in the water.

The rig just went through a TecRec course I was teaching and I was very happy with the performance, including with stages.

Made some newer updates this week; replaced the bungees with thinner 'loops', bungeed down the wing (temp mod) to reduce the profile (works).. but looking for a more refined solution for that (will involve sewing, I am sure). Will post photos later this week - need to get my camera down to the kit store.

Still researching for a reliable means to create 'sliding D-Rings' on the waist, for perfected fine-tuned cylinder trim. It'd be nice to think there was a secure alternative to static D-ring locations on the waist belt. Going to browse some sailing/chandlery and climbing shops and see if anything leaps out at me...

Still researching for a reliable means to create 'sliding D-Rings' on the waist, for perfected fine-tuned cylinder trim. It'd be nice to think there was a secure alternative to static D-ring locations on the waist belt. Going to browse some sailing/chandlery and climbing shops and see if anything leaps out at me...

Something that I was playing with was a thick bungie in a small loop that was snug on the waist belt, because it was slightly smaller than the waistbelt.

I am sure it would not hold with steel but it did a decent job of sticking in place with the Aluminums.

They look HUGE though...and fixed d-ring.... I'll make an assumption that they'd be terrible for sidemounting (and a liability for restrictions).

Saw this concept on Facebook... interesting notion;

423054_3345525802851_1409957055_33195655_762884273_n.jpg

Would prefer if the D-ring wasn't rigid... and also a low-profile D-ring... but it's a workable starting point...

Hmm, I would just prefer to keep two drings on each side.

Update on my 'Project Frankenstein' sidemount rig...

Have done some further refinements on my sidemount rig since I started this thread. I thought it was worth updating with some photos..

2013-02-04 15.37.20 [].jpg
Main developments are:
1) Softer (yellow!) harness.
2) Oxycheq Travel-Lite nylon backplate replaced the metal (Ali) backplate.
3) Bungees used to 'shape' the buoyancy cell.
4) Continuous bungees - thin diameter.

2013-02-04 15.38.10 [].jpg
Managed to source some nice low-profile D-rings for the harness. I only do tropical diving...so the snaps and d-rings can be minimized.

2013-02-04 15.38.18 [].jpg
Bungees are 5mm - run continious and doubled-over. Basically, a big 'loop'. There's plenty of stretch to them, but they hold the cylinders snugly in trim. Easy to replace also... as this is just basic bungee, available from any decent LDS. The thinner bungee works great for 'double-wrap' on/around the tank valve/handle also.
2013-02-04 15.38.57 [].jpg
OMS Profile adapter still functions well. I managed to get some sex-bolts to remove entanglement/entrapment hazard across the back.
2013-02-04 15.39.39 [].jpg
I moved the Rails inwards on the butt-plate. Less entrapment hazard and it (surprisingly) makes it easier to locate the bolt-snaps onto the rails.
Bungee on the outside is for the stowage of a lift-bag.
2013-02-04 15.39.47 [].jpg
Closer view of the sex-bolts. (and some rust stains..) :wink:
2013-02-04 15.40.00 [].jpg
For a BP&W adaption, it's very compact and lightweight.... yet supplies 32lb of lift when needed. More than adequate for 4x AL80s.
2013-02-04 15.40.10 [].jpg
Teeny-tiny...
2013-02-04 15.40.37 [].jpg
LPI hose routes from below. A simple task of swapping the lower OPV and LPI positions. LPI secures via a short length of bungee and a bolt-snap. It clips across the chest. I find this very intuitive and easy to manipulate.
2013-02-04 15.41.00 [].jpg
Some trim weights on the harness. The upper OPV still works underneath the Profile adaptor. I extended the pull dump, routed it via some rubber tube and it is secured behind my neck. Very easy to find on the (very rare) occasions when I might need to dump in a vertical trim position - there are a few ascending passages in the wrecks where this is necessary.
2013-02-04 15.41.26 [].jpg
Here you can see some of the bungee I used to 'shape' the bladder. It's tight at the top, but unrestricted at the base. This turns the 'donut' into a 'pear'. More lift on the lower torso... just like the good man wanted..
2013-02-04 15.41.34 [].jpg
View of the Oxycheq backplate, harness and super-lite weight bungees.
2013-02-04 15.42.11 [].jpg
LPU with bungee and bolt-snap. The LPI hose comes off my very old Halcyon Eclipse... it's just the right length and lies flat across my chest.
2013-02-04 15.42.22 [].jpg
View showing the cylinder rails moved to the inside of the butt plate. A nice modification...works well.
2013-02-04 15.42.36 [].jpg
Sex bolts secure the backplate, wing and Profile adaptor. You can see the cylinder bungees running through the cam-slots in the backplate.

Details of the Oxycheq Travel-Lite harness:
DSC02036 [800x600].jpg
1lb trim weights on the shoulders
DSC02037 [800x600].jpg
Rig conforms to hogarthian single-piece configuration.
DSC02038 [800x600].jpg
Can easily be swapped out for single tank holiday diving with Oxycheq 18lb travel wing, if desired (but no...I travel with the sidemount! LOL)
DSC02039 [800x600].jpg
Detail of the lower harness assembly
DSC02040 [800x600].jpg
Very lightweight solution, that performs well. My current DIY project is to build my own 'Bogarthean' style harness. Auto-Cad templates for shoulder and lower-back plates ready to go off to a laser-cutter soon...
DSC02041 [800x600].jpg
Low-profile D-Rings compared to normal D-Rings.
DSC02042 [800x600].jpg
Detail of how I fitted the trim weights.
DSC02043 [800x600].jpg
Trim weights from reverse. The webbing holder is attached to the Oxycheq.
DSC02044 [800x600].jpg
Trim weights from the side.
DSC02045 [800x600].JPG
How the Oxycheq Travel Lite secures the lower harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom