problems with certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck on getting your certification straightened out. With NAUI it might be a trick since they do allow totally independent instructors. If you would say where you are located, it may be that someone on the board lives close enough to give you some more helpful advice about how to proceed or even know or know of the shop and instructor that won't return your calls.

If you look at your question in the other thread about lds or online purchase. The amount of help that this shop has given you in trying to get your certification straightened out should be an indication of the type of service you will receive from them in the future.

The last two posts leave out that we do not have the side of the dive shop nor the instructor. There are always three sides to every story.

The different responses have been interesting to read. I like to consider myself a reasonable person and there are always two sides to a story as people have pointed out. I absolutely understand that paying the course fee does not automatically entitle anyone to a card. My instructor may have felt that I could use some additional training, and the instructor is certainly within his rights to insist on this. I have no desire to be an unsafe diver!! My complaint is that it took me four months and multiple attempts at contacting dive shop and instructor before I got this answer. It also appears that the dive shop wants to charge more money for this additional training and still can't tell me with any specificity which additional skills I need to work on. The shop said it would get back to me next week with the list of additional skills. Perhaps they will, but it has been hard to get definitive answers from them so far. Maybe they will surprise me :) I am in New England, so if the shop tells me I need to do anything involving an open water dive I am not sure how that will work. It was 15F this morning. This is also why it would have been helpful to get this info back in August.

Based on the responses so far it seems like I should (1) request in writing that the dive shop provide me with a reason for denying the card and in which skill areas I am lacking and (2) contact NAUI by phone and see if they can offer any assistance.

Thanks again!

Where exactly are you located. New England is pretty big last time I looked. What is the name of the shop and what is the name of the instructor? You have a NAUI course director in the this thread that may be able to give some assistance. You will lose nothing by naming names.

Based on the responses so far it seems like I should (1) request in writing that the dive shop provide me with a reason for denying the card and in which skill areas I am lacking and (2) contact NAUI by phone and see if they can offer any assistance.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a good plan. I agree that 4 months is an awfully long time to go without this information and you are right in taking this to the next level. If I can help, please feel free to PM me or call me at my dive shop at 610-268-8500.

PS no need to name names as of yet, I am sure we can resolve this

Any news on what happened yet? Did they get back to you with a list of your so called shortcomings?

Sounds like a good plan. I agree that 4 months is an awfully long time to go without this information and you are right in taking this to the next level. If I can help, please feel free to PM me or call me at my dive shop at 610-268-8500.

PS no need to name names as of yet, I am sure we can resolve this

IMHO, it is absolutely time to name names. Since August? Seriously? The shop may not be responsible for issuing the cert, but the contract was with them and they supplied the instructor. Neither the shop nor the instuctor is responding in anything even close to a business-like manner.

4 months - a third of a year. How long could it possibly take?

I would be in court by now, personally.

To the OP - BBB is a waste of time. In your position, I would call the dive shop and let them know if I did not get some sort of satisfactory answer within 7 days, I would be filing a court claim and speaking to local media. They subcontracted the instructor, they don't get to walk away - they need to resolve this for you. Full stop.

I'm curious too if this was resolved. If there is proof that the student completed all the minimum standards, NAUI will issue the card. Please feel free to message me and I'd be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom