problems with certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I took a scuba diver certification class in August, 2011. I paid the fee, attended the classroom instruction, participated in the certification dives, and took the NAUI certification exam.

The instructor took my contact information including my home address, verified that this is where I wanted the certification card sent, and I assumed that this was the end of the story.

I checked my mailbox for the next few weeks only to discover that no certification card was forthcoming. After three weeks I called the dive shop to see what the hold up was. The owner of the dive shop told me to contact the instructor, which I did. The instructor did not get back to me.

I proceeded to email and call the owner of the dive shop a few times over the next few months. The dive shop owner kept telling me to contact the instructor, which I kept trying to do with no luck. The instructor did not return any of the messages.

Four months later, I gave up on the email/calling route and I drove up to the shop itself to try and get an answer. At this point the owner then informed me that I wouldn’t be getting a card (first time I was informed of this), that I needed additional instruction to meet the certification guidelines (also the first time I was told this), and that this additional instruction would cost extra money. He was unclear about exactly what additional instruction I needed specifically, but said he would contact the instructor and get back to me next week.

My question is what should I do now? I feel like I am out $500 with no recourse on how to resolve this. Do I eat the fee and get certified through another shop or do I pay the original shop some extra fee to complete whatever additional instruction they think I need? I have no idea what is the best course of action and am curious if anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation???

WOW being Naui I hope a naui instructor can chime in here but man oh man this is something I hear happening more often then I would like too.

Just my 2 cents though if you do have to go back through it again then go to a PADI shop because PADI is very strict about their instructors and do investigate complaints made. I hope that every thing will work out well for you though.

You might want to follow up with NAUI HQ. This sounds pretty unorthodox for any agency affiliated shop or instuctor.

I took a scuba diver certification class in August, 2011. I paid the fee, attended the classroom instruction, participated in the certification dives, and took the NAUI certification exam.

Just curious, to whom did you pay the fee? Shop or instructor?

I agree, I would be calling NAUI & see what the actual status of the shop & instructor & explain your problem. I would also lodge a complaint against both the shop & instructor.Even if it does not get you a card, at least there will be some attention (probably unwanted) by the agency to the shop & instructor. To pay for a course of instruction & be lead around & then told that you must pay more to finish up, is not fair to you & gives a bad name to the Scuba industry.

.....//......Four months later, I gave up on the email/calling route and I drove up to the shop itself to try and get an answer. At this point the owner then informed me that I wouldn’t be getting a card (first time I was informed of this), that I needed additional instruction to meet the certification guidelines (also the first time I was told this), and that this additional instruction would cost extra money. He was unclear about exactly what additional instruction I needed specifically, but said he would contact the instructor and get back to me next week.

My question is what should I do now? I feel like I am out $500 with no recourse on how to resolve this. Do I eat the fee and get certified through another shop or do I pay the original shop some extra fee to complete whatever additional instruction they think I need? I have no idea what is the best course of action and am curious if anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation???

.....//......At this point the owner then informed me that I wouldn’t be getting a card ...//...

Reappear at the dive shop and ask the owner to track down the instructor and issue you a temporary (30 day) universal referral card. [Yes, they can -want to see mine?]

If you did the work through the dive shop the business owes you the card. If the answer is still no, send a registered letter to the dive shop requesting the reason, in writing, why you will not be getting a card. Wait one business week for a reply.

Call NAUI HQ and give them the particulars, you will be pleasantly surprised.
I had a somewhat similar issue with my first card, just some simple SNAFU with where the card was to be sent, called HQ and got immediate satisfaction as the instructor had sent (almost) everything in.

>>>>If HQ has no record, have HQ do the investigating. They DO care about your experience.

Sorry you had such an unfortunate start, diver...
Best.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I paid the fee to the shop. I actually tried to dispute the charge through my credit card, but visa told me that I would likely not get very far as technically the shop had provided a service in the form of the class.

I did contact NAUI through their contact page.

I received the following reply:

"I need more information to help locate your record. Please email me
your contact information including full name, address, phone, email,
date of birth, the course dates and instructor name. It will speed the
process if you have log book entries signed by your instructor and a
copy of your temporary certification card."

I gave all of the information I could, but explained that I was never informed about log book entries and obviously didn't have a temporary certification card (hence the problem). I sent the email on December 8th and have yet to hear back from NAUI.

Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
I would send them another email. As an instructor for SSI, not all students pass initially, however if I as the instructor feel they need some more help or time, they are told that upfront and it is provided until they either pass and are certified or give up. I have taught with a couple of shops through SSI and they would not let me not finish up a student that didn't meet the requirments and the student would not be charged additional fees, other than entry fees. Something is definitely wrong here. Just my 2 bubbles

Wow, that's completely unacceptable. I know that we always say here that there are two sides to every story, but it sure sounds like you got taken!

Diving is a great sport, and mostly involving great people! Don't give up, and keep us posted...

If you did not pass the course the instructor should have told you this at the completion of your coarse and let you know what you need to do to pass. This was handled totally unprofesional. I would also check with NAUI and see if the instructor's certification is current and inform them how the instructor and the dive shop handled the situation. With PADI instrutors and divemasters you can go online and check for current certification. If the instructor turned in your paperwork to NAUI they should have record of it and can help you but if the instructor or dive shop did not turn it in you maybe out of luck. If you have any contact with any of the other students in your class ask them if they got thier cards and if they didn't have them contact NAUI also and that may put some pressure on the dive shop to take care of the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom