Problem with Scubapro Seawing Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, if you goto Leisurepro and check out the Nova, they have the new hinge on the product picture. The old hinge had flanged cuts on top and bottom, and the new hinge only has the flanges cut into the bottom, with the top being a solid thick rubber bar.

Any chances of a pic? I was interested in these fins until the reports of hinge failure came in, I cannot see pictures of the "latest" version on any web site, all show the "older" version even on Scubapros site.

Recently I was diving with a buddy in Egypt who had Seawings he had bought a few months ago: during one of our dives they failed at the hinge joint.
I was not surpized.

After my third pair Scubapro Seawing Novas failed again at the hinge joint a while ago, I now reached my fourth pair.
ScubaPro replaced them each time through my dealer, without cost.

Let's hope the new version is better, and that ScubaPro will keep replacing the old version even after expiry of the warranty.
There clearly seems to be a defect in design or fabrication.

And yes, I have had the same problem (after 5 months). Scubapro replaced without arguing. The new (revised) ones were not yet available. I guess they replace again if the same problem happens.

After 6 months of use, approx. 100 dives, my 4th pair of Seawings, 1st generation, broke again at the hinge.
They were replaced by the Gorilla version, a bit stiffer, but for the rest very similar to the Novas.
I cross my fingers this fifth pair will last a little longer.

After 6 months of use, approx. 100 dives, my 4th pair of Seawings, 1st generation, broke again at the hinge.
They were replaced by the Gorilla version, a bit stiffer, but for the rest very similar to the Novas.
I cross my fingers this fifth pair will last a little longer.

I tried them and liked them but the very high number of failures killed it for me. I'm interested how version 2 and/or the Gorillas hold up, keep us posted. Cheers.

We have had no returns or problems with the new version.

However, they have only been out for less than a year.

We have had no returns or problems with the new version.

However, they have only been out for less than a year.

The reports of failures started coming in rather quickly on version 1 so the fact that there have been no(?) reports of version 2 failures is a good sign.

The reports of failures started coming in rather quickly on version 1 so the fact that there have been no(?) reports of version 2 failures is a good sign.

It may be too soon to declare victory.
In the mean time I made about 150 dives with the Gorillas, and now small cracks start to appear at both hinges ...
They are fabulous fins though, much stiffer than the Seawings.
I wonder how long the cracks will remain stable.

It may be too soon to declare victory.
In the mean time I made about 150 dives with the Gorillas, and now small cracks start to appear at both hinges ...
They are fabulous fins though, much stiffer than the Seawings.
I wonder how long the cracks will remain stable.

the end is nigh...once a crack/split begins its only a matter of time, I imagine sooner rather than later.

I ended up buying some Gorillas, I too like them a lot, but because I don't trust them I will only use them for local diving I would never take them travel diving. If/when they break I will not replace them.

A have a pair of Chinese knockoffs. One of them broke at the joint after 50 dives and I suppose that I should have expected it. They are a copy of the old design, with the cuts on the top and bottom. I purchased them through taobao.com, using a taobao agent and thankfully they didn’t cost me very much.

Back
Top Bottom